Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




One long ago Christmas my parents gave my sister and I sets of books. I got anne of green gables and she got little house on the prairie. We were young, so we still shared things and i remember reading a few of the books in the little house series. I'm pretty sure I only made it to book two or three, but there was one chapter of all I read that I remember even years later. It was the Christmas chapter. I remember they poured molasses on the snow, and the children ate it like candy. The description of it's taste made me want to try it, and although I knew my granny's gingerbread used molasses I don't think I really knew what molasses tasted like on its own. Heaven knows I'd never try it now.


I would, however, make these cookies over and over again. They are what I imagine molasses snow to have tasted like to a prairie food lover's palate. They're chewy, with a little crisp on the outside, rich with spice, and they sparkle like diamonds. They evoke ideas of stormy days spent inside looking out on beautifully seasonal scenery; like today. Do make these as soon as you can. Although when you do you may find yourself craving snowy weather, watch out.




molasses cookies
barely altered from shannon

1 cup butter, soft
2 3/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup molasses
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
a pinch of allspice and nutmeg

Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add molasses, eggs, and vanilla. Sift together remaining dry ingredients and add, mixing until just combined. Refrigerate dough at least a half hour. Shape dough into balls, roll in sugar, and place on parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15-18 minutes at 275°F or until cookies are cracked on top. Cool on the sheet.

*these would be delicious with chopped candied ginger pieces


6 Comments

  1. These look soooo cozy! And I have chopped candied ginger I've been trying to use up! Zoink!

    ReplyDelete
  2. delicious! these look absolutely tasty, i will be making them soon, cheers from london

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make a similar cookie, but I call them ginger chewies. They are my absolute favorite cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These cookies look totally gorgeous! And also extremely addictive - I can see them dsapearing quickly ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made these this weekend, they were delicious! I've been looking for the perfect molasses cookie recipe and I have found it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Suzanne, so glad to hear that you enjoyed them! you are so welcome.

    ReplyDelete