Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




You know how some new moms get makeovers after they have a baby? New hair, new, clothes, new shoes. Not me. I get a blog makeover instead. New buttons, new layout, new feel. I like it a lot better, what do you think? Yes, that means all who are reading this in your google reader, email, or whatever you're reading this from, have to actually click a button that will take you to another website, potentially mucking up your whole browser with various tabs/windows to see what I'm talking about.

life's rough.


I had a baby two months ago. Did you hear?
She's practically all I ever talk about nowadays. I hear it's a disorder new moms contract shortly after giving birth for the first time. All they talk about is their baby and anything related. Maybe by baby #3 I'll be over it. Probably not.

So let's talk about my beautiful baby girl. She's a lot like me, she loves food. However she does not take after my love of chocolate. Which is tragic, and depressing, and all together unfair. Why? Well because if she doesn't like it, that means I can't eat it. So this will be my last chocolate post for a while. At least until I can make something chocolaty for a friend/neighbor/family member. Or until she's about 18 months.

I made this cake for a Bradley birthing class reunion. Yes I labored and delivered jane naturally. It was pretty incredible, but that's another story.  I made the cake because I thought since everyone would have their babies with them, it'd be like a big birthday party for all those new little people.  I should have known chocolate and cinnamon mightn't be the best thing for lots of breastfed baby's bellies. So if anyone else in the class had grumpy pusses for children the days following, I'm sorry.



"lower fat"cinnamon texas sheet cake

 cooks illustrated

3 oz chocolate, chopped
¾ cup cocoa powder
2 Tablespoons hershey’s syrup
1½ cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon (totally optional, I actually think it'd be better without)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
6 Tablespoons butter, slightly soft
1¼ cups sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1½ cups buttermilk
Chocolate frosting

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour (with cocoa) a 9x13 pan. Melt chocolate with ¼ cup of the cocoa powder then mix in hershey's syrup. In another bowl combine remaining cocoa powder, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cream butter and sugar together, add chocolate mixture and beat until smooth-ish. Add eggs and vanilla mixing til fluffy and yummy looking. Add the flour mixture alternating with buttermilk, ending with flour. Mix until creamy. Pour into pan and bake for about 25-30 minutes, until that toothpick is clean. Prepare frosting; frost cake while warm and serve.

a note: the instructions given with the original recipe were bogus and I believe were the reason I made a mess of my kitchen and began doubting I had any talent in baking. So I gave you instructions that actually made sense; you're welcome.


One Comment

  1. This looks so sinful! And I mean it in a good way!

    ReplyDelete