Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

There are a handful of recipes that I have an interesting relationship with. I adore them, really I do. but for some reason no matter how much I love the end product, no matter how excited I am to have leftovers, I'm not exactly fond of the means whereby, or the experience getting to the point of enjoying that first bite. Every time, something happens. It never fails; either I make a mess every time, or i forget something, or I don't have a certain ingredient I thought I had, or it takes much longer than planned, or it just isn't the way I want.  The great thing is, no matter what happens while making these recipes, it ends up being the most delicious thing i've tasted.  This quiche recipe is like that; every time I make it, it's an experience; but the satisfaction that I get from it's rich, savory, and delicious "ness" makes me forget my shortcomings and assures me that indeed it should be kept on the list of things to make for dinner.

onion and spinach quiche
a good crust recipe, enough for an 11" pie plate, blind baked
Tablespoon oil
3 large onions, finely chopped
1 Tablespoon sugar
1/3 cup red wine (or since i never have this when i need it, chicken stock with 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice added)
a frozen box of spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 1/3 cups cream
1/2 cup mozzerella cheese
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
4 eggs, slightly beaten

Heat the oil, add the onions and cook until soft and clear; add the sugar cooking the onions until caramelized. Add the wine (or stock), cooking until almost completely gone. Set aside.

Heat a lil' bit of butter in a pan over medium heat, add the spinach and cook until dry and crispy; wet spinach = soggy quiche.

In a small saucepan heat 1 cup of the cream, adding the cheeses and warming until cheese is melted. Don't let it get too hot or it will cook the eggs too soon. Combine with remaining cream, and then eggs.

Preheat oven to 375°F and assemble the quiche. Place onions directly on crust, sprinkle on the spinach, and lastly pour the egg and cream mixture on top.

Cook for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 325°F and cook for another 20 minutes to assure center is baked through.

One Comment

  1. One of my favorite recipes! I love spinach quiche. I don't make quiche enough...