Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!


I'm back.

I can't tell you how wonderful the past two months have been spending every moment with this little one. Thank you for all your kind words & wishes. She has grown so fast and my adoration for her has grown even faster. She's a wiggle wart, fart machine, and our sweet baby jane.





Equally as wonderful is the weather here in Utah. The mornings are crisp and cool, and vibrant reds, oranges, and yellows are creeping down the mountainside and will soon be all over the valley. It's my favorite time of year and I'm sure it's likely yours as well. Few people don't enjoy the change and beauty of autumn. With the change of weather seasons comes the beginning of baking season in our home. The oven awakes from it's summer hibernation and emits the sweet aromas of quick breads, cookies, cakes and casseroles. I won't lie to you, I love baking season. But of course not near as much as I love the bun I just baked up.

This is a banana bread recipe I got from my mom. It's not as spicy as the other banana bread recipe I blogged before but it has a familiar and sweet taste that is expected in the best banana breads. It's a delicious recipe and I love when the walnuts toast to the perfect crispness. The contrast of the doughy bread, almost like a pudding, and the crispy nuts on top are delightful. I don't care who y'are; you'll love it.



sour cream banana bread
from mom

4 ripe bananas
2 large eggs
1 cup packed brown sugar
¾ cup vegetable oil
Scant ½ cup sour cream (about 1-2 Tablespoons more)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
Pinch of allspice
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon salt
2 handfuls walnuts
1¾ cup flour

Preheat oven to 375°F. Brush butter in loaf pan. Mash the bananas in separate bowl. In mixing bowl whisk the eggs, sugar, oil and sour cream together. Add spices, baking soda and powder, vanilla, salt, and mashed bananas. Add flour and stir until just combined. Pour into buttered loaf pan, sprinkle walnuts on top of batter and bake 1 hour plus 10-20 minutes (until toothpick comes out mostly clean @ 350°F (reduce the heat when you put the bread in the oven). Let rest in loaf pan on wired rack for 10 minutes, then remove from loaf pan and let cool on wired rack. Or just dig in.

Hub loves doughy tea breads so I cooked it for only an hour 5 min and the toothpick came out dirty, not wet but dirty, which means a lil' bit of batter holding on. Anyway, overnight it had a pudding like consistency and was very dense and moist especially on the bottom. He loved it.


5 Comments

  1. i'm so glad your back, my family was starving without you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've told you before, your baby jane is adorable! and i love her skull cap, already such the fashionista.

    i like autumn in pictures but i am not a fan of the cold. the oven tho, keeps me warm. i also love me some baking season. :)

    welcome back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EVERY STINKIN TIME I SEE THAT PICTURE IT MAKES ME JUST WANNA SNUGGLE HER CUTE LIL FACE!!!!!!! *sigh* You procreated and freakin' got an A+.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulation! She's beautiful. That hat kills me.

    ReplyDelete