Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




I love going to the market. Since I got pregnant, we made the change to eating organic produce, meat, and dairy. Around the same time a new market with incredibly affordable organic foods opened up the road. I visit at least once a week, sometimes more. The other day they had samples celebrating celiac week. They had a few recipes highlighted but I rarely try recipes from the grocer for some reason. I think it has to do with lack of visual stimulation. But then I tasted a sample of the quinoa salad and fell in love. There was something about the cilantro and onion with creamy crunchy seeds that was so appetizing, I must have been craving pico de gallo. My faith in market recipes has been renewed for now.


I got some quinoa and cilantro and headed home. It took just the amount of time to chop the veggies and cook the quinoa and I was in heaven. Hub and I ate this for dinner using tortilla chips and our fingers. It was perfect at the end of an 80 degree 'spring' day, and I loved having it for lunch the next day. Mix and match the veggies you use, the amount, and the type of seasoning, you can't go wrong. I do hope you try this, only your fingers are required once it's made. Of course, that is optional.

The best thing about this salad? Quinoa is a complete protein so this salad is filling, and delicious, and perfect.

quinoa salad
adapted from sunflower market

1 cup quinoa, dry
1 can black beans
cherry tomatoes, quartered
a few green onions, chopped
1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/2 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1/4 cup anaheim pepper, chopped
1 avocado, sliced
1/3 cup cilantro

the juice of 1 lemon
flavored olive oil
salt & pepper to taste

Prepare quinoa as directed below. Place the beans, tomatoes, peppers, avocado, cilantro and lemon juice in a large bowl. Mix in quinoa, and drizzle flavored olive oil to taste. Add salt and pepper if needed. Enjoy warm or cold; very good with tortilla chips.



boiled quinoa
1 cup quinoa, dry
2 cups water
1 tsp. salt

Rinse quinoa until water runs clear. Bring quinoa, water, and salt to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low letting simmer for at least 15 minutes until most of the water is absorbed. Use in salads, pilafs, soups, puddings, etc.


4 Comments

  1. The salad looks great! I bought some quinoa the other day. I will be trying this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to know where you're shopping...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've recently started eating more quinoa and love it, but I only have one standard way of cooking it so far :), this recipe will change that!

    ReplyDelete