Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




Summer is basically here meaning more outside cooking, lots of fruit and vegetables - especially watermelon! and less baking and oven use. Although I can't help but make little cakes that perfectly satisfy because they're so sweet and fluffy. Plus lemon is such a perfect flavor for the season.



This recipe is from my mother, she never made a regular lemon cake mix or a lemon cake from scratch as i recall; only her 'lemon supreme cake'. I'm sure this is one of those recipes that's been around for decades and everyone knows it as their own mother's/grandmother's recipe even though it really wasn't their own originally. I don't think it matters. Any recipe my mother touched had some bit of her in it (metaphorically of course), and for all us kids there's nothing like mom's this or mom's that. I'm sure everyone can relate. Who cares if it was a popular recipe back then and that my mom wasn't the very first person to develop it? it's special because she made it and there are more than just taste memories connected with it.

And let me tell you no one makes this lemon cake like my mom does.

well; hopefully i do.

mom's lemon supreme

1 package lemon cake mix
1/2 c. sugar
1 cup apricot nectar
1/2 c. oil (i use 1/3 cup)
4 eggs

Preheat oven to 350F. Blend all ingredients. Beat two minutes (the minutes is underlined so obviously there's an emphasis on actually beating for two minutes; it will be creamy). Use 9x13 pans, tube pans, or cupcake pan with paper liners. Bake 45-55 minutes in the cake pans, about 20 minutes for cupcakes.

You can top the cake with a lemon & powdered sugar glaze, or a lemon or lime curd. I topped mine with lemon curd and a dollop of cream cheese frosting my family usually uses for our carrot cake, but of course do what you fancy.



Hub likes these a lot, when I told him we were going to take a half dozen to our labor class he told me 'no way'. He wanted them all to himself, and he's a man of his word. They were gone within the next couple days.

happy memorial day weekend to those in the states; I think we may go fishing. If not we'll be sure to sit around all day anyhow.

*** disclaimer: if you make these in UT/high elevations they may fall in the middle. I'm not sure why but I'll figure it out. If you're elsewhere and you have the same problem let me know. Maybe it's not just the altitude?


4 Comments

  1. Beautiful pictures, beautiful cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited to make this! It's such a beautiful picture too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops, I just saw your comment at The Hive. I haven't been teaching Pilates for a while now, other than to myself in my living room a few days a week :) If I had a place to do it I for sure would!

    ReplyDelete