Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




I got this recipe from a woman named Deena, my friend's mother. When I was a freshman in college a bunch of us loaded into his suburban and headed down to Vegas for a weekend. We played silly road trip games that made us laugh the whole time, walked the strip, went to a college football game, and he and his family graciously put us all up for the night; all 12 or so of us. I shared a room with a girl I was just getting to know, and since then we've become the best of friends. We're even a week apart with our first pregnancies. Wonderful memories and friendships were made that year, and especially within those few days.



The night we drove in, his mom Deena had some of these cookies cooling on a rack. They were a warm gesture of welcome to us all. Of course all the girls huddled around her, wanting a copy of the recipe. She did not leave us wanting but let us each make a copy giving us our own little recipe card.

This is my go-to recipe for chocolate chip cookies. They're the perfect ratio of gooey and crispy, they always look great, and the recipe makes a lot of dough so we freeze it. Then when I want a freshly baked cookie I let the dough thaw for a bit, roll into Tablespoon size balls, bake, and remember all the fun I had my freshman year within the first bite.

I love recipes like that.



Deena's vegas chocolate chip cookies

1 lb. butter, soft
3 eggs
2 tsp. baking soda
1 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
1½ cups white sugar
3 Tablespoons vanilla
1½ teaspoons salt
2 cups packed brown sugar
6 cups flour

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cream butter and sugars together. Add eggs and vanilla.
Add remaining dry ingredients.
Roll heaping tablespoons into balls on parchment lined (or ungreased) baking sheet.
Cook for exactly thirteen minutes at 350°F.

For frozen dough, you may want to bake a minute or so longer.
I made a few changes, on being that she used semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips, but i prefer bittersweet and semi-sweet. Of course you should do with what you fancy.


6 Comments

  1. i love my NYT chocolate chip cookies but i think i will try yours. always looking for something better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried the NYT cookie recipe, but i hear it's the bomb.
    I'll have to try those, we'll do a recipe swap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One pound of butter! You know these will be good! I am always up for a new ccc recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love food related memories. :) These cookies look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just made these and added white chocolate chips as well. They are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've made these, and will keep this recipe in my collection for years to come. My husband absolutely loves these cookies, and my favorite part is how I can freeze half the dough for later. Best chocolate cookies I've ever made!

    ReplyDelete