Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

Last month was national 'feed the birds' month which makes sense. Those poor fowl are flying all over the place looking for food when there is little thanks to utah's prolonged winter weather. Well, at least it's tough for the birds who eat organically, or not out of a garbage can or parking lot.

So I decided to do my part. I made a couple bird biscuits to hang on my tree. So far no one's been by to nibble, - I blame the snow - but I think with a few more biscuits and brightly colored ribbons to lure them in, my feathered friends will be appreciative.

Make it an early spring tradition. Feed the birds; after all it really is only a few dollars a bag. at Wal-mart.

this isn't the recipe I originally used, but I think it's much less of a mess than my concoction was.

bird biscuits
thanks to family circle magazine

1 cup birdseed
1 1/2 Tablespoons flour
about 2-3 Tablespoons water

Mix together well.

Cut a drinking straw into 4 pieces. Place cookie cutters of desired shapes on a piece of parchment paper or foil atop a cookie sheet.

Place a straw quarter in the place you want the hole to be. Fill in the cookie cutter with birdseed mixture making sure it surrounds the straw.

Bake at 200 degrees for about 45 minutes or until the biscuit is firm when pressed. Let it cool, remove from the cookie cutter. Tie a ribbon through the hole, and hang on a tree for the birds to nibble.

happy weekend!


  1. So cute! I've always wanted to be the type to have a million bird feeders all around but I just never got to it. I am moving into a new place this weekend and making it a goal!

  2. Yahoo for the birds! I hope they stay around, maybe that means spring will finally stay too!

  3. MMMM, those look good even though they are for the birds! I hope the birds come around to nibble on them soon.

  4. jen, you are so cute to feed the birds. really. and i think i have those cookie cutters too, for like 50cents from Michael's.