Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




My mother grew up in a small town in Oklahoma; Ponca City, ever heard of it? It is from this city that my favorite cake comes; a carrot cake. It is because of this cake that I chose carrot as the flavor for the top tier of our wedding cake. Sadly though, the baker wasn't in knowledge of the amazingly delicious and moist carrot cake of the south central US and so when hub and I finally nibbled on our top tier of the cake for our six monthery - we couldn't wait a year - we were sorely disappointed and threw the whole thing away. Of course, that may have been because of the severe freezer burn and months of sitting.



My aunt is my go to girl for all my bread and cake needs. I can e-mail her to say hello and often I'll ask about a recipe and she sends it back with details and tips that I treasure. I especially love the little things like where or who she got the recipe from.

So I must thank a Miss Zabrinskie who gave my grandmother this recipe years ago in that small town. I love this orange vegetable cake because of your generosity, and of course for my aunt's reliability in making it so deliciously well; sharing truly is caring.



carrot cake

blend together:
1 cup canola/vegetable oil
2 cups sugar
3 eggs

add:
2 big cups grated carrots
8 oz. can crushed pineapple with the juice
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

stir separately then add:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix well. this can be done by hand, or with an electric mixer.

Add 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring - don't forget!

Bake at 350 degrees F for 30-45 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Depending on what pan you bake it in, the timing may vary. This recipe is wonderful as cupcakes, loaves, a bundt, rosettes, etc. Although the original recipe was for two 8 or 9-inch round cake pans.


to prove to my sister that yes, even without the cream cheese frosting, it is in fact a carrot cake.

here's the original and traditional icing that is served with this cake.

cream cheese frosting

1/2 8 oz. package of cream cheese (4oz.)
1/4 cup softened butter or margarine
about 2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Blend ingredients with hand mixer.


So usually this cake is topped with the cream cheese frosting but I decided to pair it with a buttermilk glaze molly posted just recently. It sounded like it would pair well with the carrot cake, and it did. Especially because I totally forgot to add in the vanilla, the glaze gave the cake the vanilla-ness it lacked due to my mommy brain.

molly's buttermilk glaze
i changed it, slightly

1/2 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Combine and bring to a boil. Let cool before drizzling over cake.


5 Comments

  1. WHAT! Your mom is from Ponca!! I'm from Tulsa and I had tons of friends from there! Wooo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry your wedding cake was a bust. We still have ours in the freezer, I don't know why, I doubt we get it out on our one year in June. It is just so pretty, I wanted to save it:) I love carrot cake too, but a good one. This looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When that day comes for me, I want a carrot cake too! This one looks really lovely. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post and I love heirloom recipes. I wonder if freezing a cake for a year ever really works out for anyone. I'd rather just make a fresh one, myself. I want my fiance to make me a carrot cake because he says they're really popular in Norway, but I get this version from Oklahoma will give him a run for his money!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this post and I love heirloom recipes. I wonder if freezing a cake for a year ever really works out for anyone. I'd rather just make a fresh one, myself. I want my fiance to make me a carrot cake because he says they're really popular in Norway, but I get this version from Oklahoma will give him a run for his money!

    ReplyDelete