Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

March is a fickle month. I always anticipate the coming of spring, especially in Utah; the spring mountain air mixed with the amount of flowering trees is wonderful. The winter months drag on for so long I feel by the end of february if I don't see some color in our landscape I'll cease to have the ability to see color at all.

When March comes, it brings a few days of sunshine and weather in the upper 30s and 40s. People shed their heavy coats and on days when it's especially warm (upper 40s low 50s) you see people wearing flip flops while riding their bikes, or throwing a frisbee around enjoying the sunshine. Then we get blindsided by a winter storm warning the next day, and all the glory of spring gets buried beneath dashed hopes and snow flurries.

I cannot wait for May.

The week before was incredible, perfect bikeriding weather - I even sported my new bargain-find yellow sandals from gap; I've been waiting months to wear them. saturday afternoon we started up the bar-b-que for lunch even though it was beginning to get a bit cloudy. It was my birthday week, and a beautiful one at that. Then sunday came, and with it wind, rain, snow, cold temperatures and my heavy winter coat. They haven't left. I didn't even remember about my flip flops until now and my freshly painted red toes are getting much less face time than I imagined.

So I made some chicken noodle soup in the crock pot.
It was simple, delicious, and a good little pick me up until i get my spring days back for good. why can't mother nature just make up her mind?

a utah spring day kind of chicken noodle soup

chicken broth {about 2 quarts}
chicken breast {I used only one}
small onion, chopped
celery, chopped
carrots, chopped
a few garlic cloves, minced
2 bay leaves
thyme, a dash
salt pepper
olive oil
about 3-4 ounces dried pasta

pine nuts, lightly toasted

Sweat the onion, celery, thyme, garlic and bay leaves in a drizzle of oil on stovetop for a few minutes (not too long). Throw into crock pot.
Add chicken broth, breast, and carrots. Cook on high for about an hour then change to the low setting for 4 or so hours. 20 minutes before serving change temperature to high and add the dried pasta. When the noodles are tender, serve hot with toasted pine nuts.

I didn't measure anything, just threw stuff together and used what I had. I even added in some leftover pilaf from the night before. Is it melodramatic to admit that I really didn't care to do much of anything when I made this? thus the use of the crockpot. It was a bit of a melancholy day.

don't worry, I'll get over it.

One Comment

  1. Utah's weather is so messed up. It is the end of March and a blizzard outside. So odd! I can't wait until the real spring arrives!