Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

There are so many new things going on in our lives right now. Hub graduated from college {yay!}; we're expecting; we have a new president; february is half way over and spring is on its way <3; we made our first (and likely largest) baby purchase; and hub got a new job! so, we needed to celebrate.

Hub has been looking for a job since last September. With the slump in the economy it's been difficult finding the perfect job, or really anyone that will hire for a decent pay. Finally, he did it. After lots of prayer, crossed fingers, phone calls and a few interviews, he did it. He got the job he really wanted and felt good about. I thought it only fitting that we celebrate somehow, although it'd have to mean that it was a low expenditure kind of celebration thanks to the aforementioned economic status. So that meant something at home, just the two (i mean three) of us; the way I like it best.

As fate would have it, my dad called later that week to tell me the latest deal on meat cuts at the various supermarkets around town. Who needs the ads section when I've got my baba? :) I planned on going to the market early saturday morning as hub would be busy; didn't happen. I sort of wanted to make it a surprise so I decided I'd go after errand running in the afternoon, before I left for a evening out with some dear friends; didn't happen. Finally I decided I'd go afterward, on my way home. Well, I left for home around 12:45 a.m. a time I haven't seen for almost three years! Luckily there were plenty of cuts to choose from, albeit they'd been sitting out in the cooler a few hours. Who cares.

Now don't laugh, but this was the first time I've ever made a steak. I couldn't, and didn't want to, ask hub for help (meaning no grill) and my father wasn't answering his phone. So I had to figure it out on my own. I didn't even think to consult google. I just remembered a couple techniques from the men in my life: from brother, use Worcestershire sauce; from father, sear the meat; from my love, flip flip flip.

It turned out wonderfully. Really, what man - especially one who hasn't eaten all day - doesn't love to come home to his wife and bun (in the oven) and a good hot meal of scalloped potatoes, biscuits, veggies and steak on the side?

my first ever steak

some good steak cuts
worcestershire sauce
garlic cloves, slit in half
salt and pepper, to taste

Cut slits in the steak along the muscle grain, and insert garlic halves. Top with a little worcestershire sauce as well as salt and freshly milled pepper, cover and marinate. I think I let it sit for about a half hour? Bring the pan/grill/whatever to medium high heat and sear the meat both sides. Lower the heat and keep flipping every minute or so until the steak is cooked to the degree you prefer.

him: rare/medium rare
her: medium/well-done

I do apologize for the lack of color; apparently I was thinking about pleasing hub's palette rather than the eye. It worked.

One Comment

  1. congrats to you too! very exciting!

    hope all is going well!