Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




So I'm doing what is traditionally sound and getting fat for the day. Although I don't celebrate Lent so... really I'm just overeating on eggs milk and butter the old fashioned way with reckless abandon and not facing my responsibilities as a dutiful religious person and going without for forty days. like that would ever happen.



Really I can't imagine having to give up any of my most favorite things for forty whole days. I can give up two meals each month. But giving up eggs, or milk, or butter for forty days? AND traditionally they don't even count the Sundays that you're going without so really it's more like 40 billion days. Okay now I'm just being silly. But I do commend every one of you who do celebrate with fervor the fasting season of Lent. I admire your commitment.

So the reason I'm making such a fuss over eggs milk and butter is because those were traditional foods sacrificed during Lent. The day before Lent began on Ash Wednesday, Lent practicing people would use up their food stores of those luxurious ingredients.
Pop quiz: What is one food that uses all those delicious ingredients?
Answer: Pancakes. Or, to the traditional Lent observer from decades ago {or anywhere outside of the U.S.}, the crepe.

Hypothetically if I were to celebrate Lent, these crepes would be the ones I would be forced to give up because they are the most luxurious, sinful, luscious crepes I've ever had. It's really quite naughty.



dark chocolate crepes
from Williams-Sonoma

2 cups milk
2 eggs
2 1/2 Tablespoons melted butter
1 oz. dark chocolate, melted {I like to use Ghirardelli's 60% cacao chips}
1 1/2 cups flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Melt the butter and chocolate together, mixing to combine and smooth out the chocolate. In a large bowl combine the milk and eggs. In a separate, smaller bowl, combine the dry ingredients.

Whisk together the milk and eggs with the dry ingredients, continue whisking as you incorporate the butter and chocolate mixture.

Cover and refrigerate at least an hour, or overnight. Be sure to re-whisk the batter before you cook the crepes.

to cook the crepes:
Butter a hot fry pan (small or medium, not large) or crepe pan, then wipe out the excess butter with a paper towel so it is dry-ish. Pour in a small amount of crepe batter and tilt the pan as needed so the batter spreads and covers the bottom of the pan. As the edges begin to peel up flip the crepe with a spatula for a few seconds to cook the other side.

Or you can use your super-dee-duper crepe maker. Merci Mlle Wotring; merci un mille fois.


11 Comments

  1. I wish you were just my personal chef. Every morning I wake up to something as delicious as this =(. Come back home. Share your crepes with me. *sob*

    That cut up strawberry looks phenomenal btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crepes and chocolate... you cant really go wrong with 2 of my favorite things!

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 40 billion days....seriously if it's one might as well be 40 billion! You are amazing, too bad I didn't marry your. I don't think Aaron likes food enough to deserve you. (Took Lucy to the ER last night (she's fine...stomach bug) and the doctor looked just like Aaron...totally freaked me out. I couldn't stop starting at him, he probably thought I had the hots for him, it was freaky!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DELICIOUS!!! I love crepes and chocolate ones, even better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are calling to me...they look and sound fabulous!

    Thanks for stopping by. It's fun to find other Utah food bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, these look so delicious! You have one of my favorite combinations, chocolate and strawberries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds great. I make crepes regularly but I've never even thought of putting chocolate in it. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those crepes do look sinful, while also quite divine and light :).

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a good looking pancakes :)

    Have a wonderful day and don't forget to check out chocolate-making kit giveaway on my site :)

    Margot

    ReplyDelete
  10. Made this this morning after chilling in the fridge from yesterday per the recipe. SUPER YUMMY! My Family loved them and the Recipe was easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete