Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



happy chinese new year!

However you celebrate it, it doesn't matter; just party!
Hub and I will be having leftovers from our New Years bash with my family last night. Although I do wish I would have been home on friday for the party my sister threw, they had karaoke and firecrackers, but what can ya do. I was out with my mom looking at cribs instead. :) Maybe tonight we'll watch a chinese movie, we do have a copy of the red cliffs that my father gave me, or I'll read "monkey go west" aka Journey to the West. Either way, we'll be celebrating. After all, it is my year.




the man himself, finally sitting down after making nine courses

Speaking of which, do you know what your chinese zodiac sign is? If not click here to find out. I'm an ox, and isn't it neat that my firstborn will be an ox as well? Serendipitous really. Shouldn't that be a great sign of luck? Just hopefully not bad luck.


an action shot of the man and his favorite little gadget

Well the recipe I'm sharing with you today is one of my favorites. Of course everything my father makes is my favorite. No surprise there. I really had no idea it was such a popular dessert in Hong Kong until I looked it up on google. Which brings me to a slight tangent. I'm not sure if anyone else has had a problem like this, but often I'll call something a certain name, then find out it's "proper name" is totally different. Anyway, I was happy to find that what my family and I call almond tofu is the same thing that the world calls almond tofu or almond jelly; the english speaking part of the world anyway. Of course I'd still love it no matter what it was called.



almond tofu

1 package gelatin
1 cup water
1 can of evaporated milk
1/2 - 1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract (more to taste)
1 can mixed fruit

In a bowl (the one you want to be serving the tofu in) mix the evaporated milk and sugar until the sugar is mostly dissolved.

In a saucepan, mix the water and gelatin together and bring to a boil. Pour over the milk and sugar mixture until the sugar is completely dissolved. Add the almond extract then taste and add more as needed. Cover with a lid or plastic wrap and refrigerate for a few hours or overnight; until it's to the consistency of jell-o. Add the can of mixed fruit and serve in individual bowls.



enjoy!


4 Comments

  1. happy new year jen! may your year be full of happiness and lucky.

    i am not a fan of almond tofu, i like the hot tofu with ginger syrup tho, does that count? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you too! What a great way to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi there - just wondering if almond extract is missing from the ingredient list?

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, thank you! just fixed it :)

    ReplyDelete