Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



What is more home-y and exuding of holiday cheer than the cookie?





I have to apologize, because this month I have felt very uninspired in the kitchen. I seldom wanted to bake, and had nothing I necessarily wanted to blog either. Then it snowed. There's something about the weather that brings in the Christmas season for me. Our little apartment can be decorated with everything we have donning Christmas themes and icons, but it's not Christmas until it snows and I start giving away baked goodies.

I'm relieved that day finally came.



This recipe is one of my favorites. I was first introduced when my roomate/soon to become best friend would make them during the holidays before we'd all leave to be with our families. I fell in love. It would even bring nostalgic memories to mind. Remembering being a child and my father buying Andes mints only during the holidays, they were little treasures that we looked forward to in December and January.



My favorite part about these cookies is that they are good warm, and even long after they've cooled. The chocolate hardens and then when you eat one, oh, the sensation of the melting chocolate in your mouth... it's my favorite.



andes mint cookies

¾ c. butter (1½ stick)
1½ cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons water
12 oz. (2 cups) chocolate chips (I do 1 cup bittersweet, 1 cup semi)
2 eggs
2 ½ cups flour
1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt

In a large bowl melt together the butter, brown sugar, water and chocolate chips. *I microwave it for a minute at a time stirring after each until melted.



Beat in eggs, add in sifted remaining dry ingredients until blended. Chill 1 hour or overnight. Shape into 1 inch balls and place on greased cookie sheet. Bake @ 325°F for 8-10 minutes. Place mint on top, you may want to place back in the oven for a second or two. Spread when melted. Let cool completely; or not.



Happy Holidays


20 Comments

  1. what a brilliant first photo, ten points!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, those sound yummy! I make a shortbread frosted cookie that's wrapped around an Andes mint (that I never make unless I'm taking them somewhere because I can't quite eating them), but this chocolate one sounds even better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has been entirely too long since I've had Andes mints. These cookies look like the perfect treat to help me get back in the swing of things-thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the same way - it doesn't feel like Christmas until there is snow! These cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ohhh yum! i have a similar recipe but instead of using a whole bar on top, it uses mint chips in the cookies! i'll have to try them this way too- looks much gooier!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do this but with brownies. So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am going to make these this week for sure! Mmm they look good!

    I know exactly how you feel about Christmas and the snow. My Husband and I lived in South Texas for two and a half years, and I never felt the Christmas Spirit while we were there. I remember one Christmas Eve, I was on the phone with my Mom and she was saying how cold it was in Colorado and I replied woefully that Nathan and I were in tank tops and driving around town with our windows down. I was so happy to come here to Michigan and get the change of season back, even if it is the coldest place on Earth! And I have felt Christmasy each years since we got here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look absolutley delicious!!! I think I may try them this weekend!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are my favorite Christmas cookie! I just made them a few days ago!! Yours look great...in fact, I may just make these again!! :-)

    -Amy
    www.singforyoursupperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh, wow. these look amazing. First shot is stunning. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. those look and sound so good! and of course the picture is just lovely! and i love the brown and green swirl in the last one. mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been looking for stuff to make as Christmas treats and I'm definitely trying this one out....thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh yum Jen! Even though I complain about the snow in New York (since I have to walk through it to get anywhere) I secretly love it. And I'm very nostalgic about Andes mints as well. Such a vivid memory from childhood, actually from when my dad and I would have "date night" together and we'd get to leave my baby sister at home for once. These were the mints we got at the end of the meal at the kid-friendly restaurant we always went to. Thanks for these cookies. I'm sure my dad would love them!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I gain 10 pounds just by looking at your blog. Jess

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for this recipe! I made them for our Christmas party and they were a HUGE hit, the only food item that had no leftovers! I will be incorporating this one into my staple of sweets for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Come back! I miss you!! Hope all is well :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look soooo good. I can almost smell that warm, chocolate-mintiness!

    ReplyDelete
  18. do you mind if I pin this recipe on pinterest?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Anon - not at all, although if you want less work, I've already pinned it here, feel free to repin!

    ReplyDelete