Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




"it's not as good as your mushroom soup."

Since the weather has cooled down sufficiently, and permanently, we've been having soup as often as I can make it. Each time, I ask my love what he thinks of the soup. Usually I'll either get widened eyes and a smile while he's simultaneously stuffing another spoonful into his mouth, a barely audible grunt of satisfaction, or a simple 'it's good'; just depends.

However, with the past few soups I've made (which have been new recipes) he's given me the opening phrase as his only critique.

I ask him if he'd rather have onion soup or borscht, he says, 'mushroom'.



So I hope it comes as no surprise that I've made it at least once a week (and a half) this past month. I really don't mind either. It means I only need about a half hour to make dinner, and I get to stop by my favorite bakery on the way home to pick up a baguette.

I love using crimini mushrooms, they've got such a bold flavor. Must be because they're really just preemie portabellos. mmmm portabellos.

This soup was perfect to have during the past few weeks. It's been rainy since sunday, and then wednesday morning we awoke to the first snow of the season. Well, it was the first snow for this part of the valley; most other places had their first snowfall a few weeks ago. The delicate flakes always amaze me as they fall, it's so still, quiet, and very lovely.



sautéed mushroom cream soup

1 lb. sautéed mushrooms
4 cups vegetable, chicken or beef broth
1½ - 2 cups cream or half and half - more means creamier
2 - 3 Tablespoons flour
salt and pepper, to taste

Combine the flour with about 1/2 cup of the broth, set aside.

After you've prepared the mushrooms, add the flour and broth mixture, cook until thickened. Add the broth, and heat until at the desired temperature and consistency. Add the cream or half and half, adding salt and pepper, to taste.

serve warm;



and have a wonderful weekend.

I just got election day's internet purchase in the post today;
can't wait to go shopping.


16 Comments

  1. Too bad I'm the only one in the house that would eat this. Maybe I could make a smaller version for just me. Mushrooms are a favorite of mine, and cream of mushroom soup is even better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! I love mushrooms! I also love that he chooses something not even given as an option! I normally don't even ask my fiance, I should be more considerate, like you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I looooove mushroom soup too! I like to have dried porcini in mine to kick up the flavours a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Soup looks interesting and very easy. Would like to try it but the instructions reference some broth which is not listed in the ingredients. If you could clarify that would be great. Thanks! Now back to lurking.....

    ReplyDelete
  5. oops! thank you anonymous, off to fix that now.

    it's 4 cups of any type of broth.

    i know i typed it... where did it run off to?

    laura - i do hope you try it, even if it's when everyone else is gone. it's a wonderful lunch!

    andrea - love does that all the time, and even though I ask, I really just end up making what I've planned on anyway. he eats everything ;)

    cc - i've never tried porcini mushrooms, i'll keep an eye out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi ya
    This is my first time here. U have a gr8 blog!

    Lovely soup! mushroom is one of my fav!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,

    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM!!! YUM!!!.
    We would like to add it to the Ptitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com (more than 30 000 visitors per day)

    To add your site to the Ptitchef family you can use http://www.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to http://en.petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    Octávio
    www.petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious! I looove mushroom soup..and it's getting to the time of year where you need a good comforting soup!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mushrooms are so delicious! Portabellos are my favorite little fungi :). This such a wonderful recipe, I can definitely see it being used in a casserole, too :).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mushroom soup is always so good. I like that this recipe is simple with few ingredients! Looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't normally eat mushrooms (at least not on purpose), but if they have been soaked in sherry or port before being made into soup, then I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've never actually made mushroom soup, but this looks too easy and delicious to pass up!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for this recipe. I used Hen of the Woods, Shitake, and Oyster mushrooms for this recipe. It was delicious and we loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! Was wondering, what type of cream do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  15. any type of cream would do i suppose. i use heavy cream although i'm sure double cream would be just as good. Something thick, hub likes his soup with girth, not watery.
    Goats milk might also do well, although it'd be thinner but if you want the soup thick without the fat content a thick cream will give, using a roux would thicken it up.

    ReplyDelete