Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



{as seen on café zupas blog}

If you love this fungus fresh, you'll never stop sauteing them once you start. Sauteing mushrooms is easy, and well worth the time put into them (it takes about 20 minutes). They're a delicious accompaniment to an entrée, tossed with a salad, added to a soup or sauce, or savored one by one purely by itself.

How do you like your mushrooms?

really, I want to know.


In the spring and summer, we always eat our mushrooms raw. Atop our salads, in our overloaded-with-anything-fresh-we-can-get-our-paws-on sandwiches (never heard of it? hmm), and I'm positive we've even tried them in our jolly green smoothies. Although I can't remember what it tasted like; I'm pretty sure we never tried it again though. **{look to bottom for some important things about eating raw mushrooms}

When the temperatures lower, everything becomes cooked, baked, steamed, or warmed in some way. We have more grilled/panini sandwiches paired with our favorite soups, homemade and storebought , and instead of eating our mushrooms raw, we eat them this way, sautéed.

Obviously our eating habits are directly related to the outside temperature. When it's hot outside, we like to eat things cold and refreshing. When it turns cold, we love anything warming, soothing and heavy. It's actually a very strange phenomenon. I can't tell you how many pounds of fresh spinach we consumed this summer, i think we kept costco's produce section in business. We bought one of those huge bags a few days back, and the spinach sits, with barely a dent. I even tried a fresh mushroom while I was making these, and it just wasn't as appetizing as it would be in May.

But after they were all sautéed and gummy soft, I swear to goodness I could barely stop myself from eating them all before making them into a soup, or even get them on a plate to photograph for this post. You can be sure that in between stirs I picked a few from the pan each time, just to see how much closer they were to being done. "goutez goutez goutez!" Application of good advice is my favorite thing to do, especially when it applies to the kitchen.


the four main ingredients, not including the olive oil.

sautéed mushrooms

2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 large shallot, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
a few fresh thyme sprigs, chopped
1 pound crimini/babybella mushrooms, sliced
salt and pepper, to taste

In a medium-hot pan, add the olive oil (you don't want to oil to cook for a long time - it loses flavor, so add it after the pan is already hot). Immediately after, add the shallot, garlic, thyme, a bit of salt, and pepper.



Let these ingredients sweat for a few minutes, then add the mushrooms.
Cook on medium-low heat until mushrooms are soft, and much darker in color; about fifteen minutes.



most all kinds of mushroom are delicious sautéed, but i love crimini because of the bold flavor.

I'm also very blessed with a husband that loves the texture of mushrooms, calamari, and other sea creatures. I think that's why he loves my mushroom soup, the squeaky rubbery-like texture the mushrooms take on. That recipe will follow shortly; stay tuned.

{a few fungus facts and websites}
...crimini's are actually simply an immature portabello mushroom.
...mushrooms are low in calories, have no cholesterol and are virtually free of fat and sodium.
...mushrooms contain many essential minerals one of which is selenium, which works with Vitamin E to produce antioxidants that neutralize "free radicals" which can cause cell damage.
...while mushrooms are canned, pickled and frozen, drying mushrooms is the oldest and most commonly used way to preserve mushrooms.
...one portabella mushroom generally has more potassium than a banana.

food timeline's mushroom history
the american mushroom institute
the mushroom council


no need to thank me, just go make them;
and enjoy.

important mushroom info.
i got an e-mail from a certain 'rayne' that said:

As for using raw mushrooms in salads - a bad idea for two reasons. If you are using Portobellos, Criminis, or little white button mushrooms (all three are the same species - Agaricus bisporus); they are known to contain a carcinogen called agaritine. This toxin is destroyed by cooking at about 400 degrees. The second reason is that the cell walls of mushrooms are made up of chitin, which is the same substance (a polysaccharide) that makes up crab and lobster shells. Humans can't digest chitin. The nutrients in mushrooms (of which there are many) are not available unless the cell walls are broken down. Chitin can be broken down by cooking.

i never knew.
we always eat fresh white button mushrooms in our salads. i've never noticed anything bad towards my health, although now i'm on a quest to find out all i can. has anyone else been eating fresh mushrooms without this knowledge?

i just emailed the mushroom council, american mushroom institute, and the usda :) to ask them about it. an update will be coming soon on my research of what I find out. it may be that depending where you live in the world, the health of the mushrooms grown may vary. find out all you can about the safety of all fresh produce in your hometown, state, country. and of course, never eat wild mushrooms. i'm pretty positive that's dangerous.


11 Comments

  1. A simple recipe but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore mushrooms! These look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mushrooms just about any way except raw. Yours look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good! one of my favourite recipes for mushrooms is Enochi mushrooms wrapped in thinly sliced beef.

    ReplyDelete
  5. found you through tastespotting.com. Wonderful easy recipe. Thank you for doing a post on it. I'm a mushroom fan myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yum! I LOVE mushrooms . . . but my hubby doesn't . . . so they aren't found in my home very often anymore! You are so right about how to cook them! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my GOSH! I'm totally making that...I love mushrooms and the way you made it looked so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The perfect way to enjoy mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really close to how I make mine and I love them. The thyme is the secret ingredient that sends them over the top. I was honestly just thinking about posting mine!

    ReplyDelete
  10. not the greatest fan of mushrooms, but if its served that way, I would probably gobble all that up :)

    psilocybe cubensis syringe

    ReplyDelete