Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

Looking for a last minute way to dress that turkey? This recipe is the most simple recipe for a moist, delicious turkey to serve at your big feast. My husband learned this technique from a Jewish friend of his. Apparently, he doesn't exactly eat kosher.

We made this turkey our first Thanksgiving with the same last name. We borrowed a neighbor's dutch oven, because everything is better in a dutch oven, right? We bought extra thick bacon, and made the humongous bird (I think it was over 12 lbs!) for just the two of us. Of course, this was after we had already eaten two separate Thanksgiving dinners with our family earlier in the week. We had turkey in the freezer for days. It was so moist, it was comparable to a ham. Likely because there were a couple pounds of ham on top... It made for delicious turkey sandwiches.

Anyway; I suggest you try it. Whether it's this year, or next, or for the next holiday we'll be capitalizing over eating for, it doesn't matter. It will be delicious.

Hermele's turkey

A Turkey
1 large onion, halved
1 large potato, halved
strips of bacon, enough to cover the top of the bird

Put the potato and onion halves inside the turkey (I like to add a few cloves of garlic), truss it, and lay the bacon on top. Bake according to suggested time. Using a dutch oven is optional, but makes a delicious turkey. We took the lid off for the last hour or so, to make it extra crispy on the outside.

{Happy Thanksgiving}


  1. Oh Jen this sounds like the perfect way to roast a Turkey! I agree . . everything tastes better cooked in a dutch oven! Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

  2. My husband always says that everything tastes better with bacon. :) I'm sure this is true of your turkey too. Sounds wonderful. Happy Thanksgiving!