Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




A few months ago, too long ago really; my sweet sister for a cousin flew out with my brother for a cousin to visit. We had such a wonderful time with them. We went hiking, ate fire grilled hamburgers, toasted s'm s'mores, visited anywhere we thought was visit-able and said long good-byes. While in Utah Valley, we went to see the place where they filmed this famous dance scene from footloose, Lehi Roller Mills.


If you've ever been to Utah, you may know that Pumpkin Chocolate Chip cookies are a delicacy of sorts. While we were at the Lehi Roller Mills, my cousin was amazed to see a bag of "Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies". Growing up in Queens, New York, they aren't a norm so she'd never heard of them before. Have you? She bought a bag and took them home. She still has yet to make them, so I decided to give her a little inspiration. So these, my dear sister, are for you.

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
adapted from a 1984 Primary Manual - awesome.

Cream together:

½ cup butter (1 stick, or ¼ lb.)
1 cup brown sugar, packed
¼ cup sugar
2 eggs
1 cup puréed pumpkin
1½ teaspoons vanilla

Mix together in separate bowl:

2 cups flour
3 teaspoons cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cloves
½ teaspoon allspice
½ teaspoon nutmeg (fresh is best)
½ teaspoon ginger
A pinch of cardamom pods (about 10), ground or just ground cardamom if you’ve got it
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder


I tried a few cookies in a muffin top pan, not my fave; but I didn't take a photo of them on the regular cookies sheet...

Combine two mixtures, mix completely. Add 1 teaspoon lemon juice and 1 cup chocolate chips (we love bittersweet, 60% cacao). Spoon onto a greased baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 10-12 minutes.


Hub likes to touch all of the yummy things he wants to keep for himself. Just so I won't give them away to the neighbors.
See his finger?


I’m not sure what the lemon juice is for, but I add it anyway. I’ve never tried it without. Also these are less of a “cookie” and more like small cake-y mounds. Regardless of what they are or aren't, they're fabulous.


He's breathing on all of them now... not the ones we took to Burke and Reese though. ;)

I love making them after I've roasted a local sugar pumpkin from my newest love of a farmer's stand called Verd's. It's the best, and on the way home from work.

Here are a few more angry dances I love:
1. billy elliot - I used to own this movie, but I can't find it anywhere! It was my favorite. My baba got it for me from HK. He brings home lots of fun things when he goes there, and often it's a dance movie for me. :)
2. brett
I also wanted to add the one from Hot Rod on here, but I couldn't find it.



A few more notes (sorry):

* I got an award! Come over here to The Open Pantry and see what it was. I'll be passing it on soon. Thank you again, Emily!

* I haven't received anyone's addresses from the Pierre Hermé giveaway, although I already have Lan and Emalia's. So everyone else, e-mail me your addy's so I can send them off to you. The results of the giveaway are at the bottom of the original giveaway post. And here's my e-mail address: belleboulangere(at)gmail.com

* I'm now blogging with a group of fabulous bloggers who I truly admire for Café Zupas. Honestly I don't feel as though I'm of the same caliber, but I was really excited when they asked me to join in on the fun. Of course I couldn't refuse. Come check it out!

* I've decided that I want to invest in a great camera, and lessons. Any tips or suggestions for types of camera (Canon vs. Nikon?) and where to take classes would be well appreciated. I love my Powershot, but I want something a little better, and less grainy.


9 Comments

  1. I know what you mean about the pumpkin chocolate chip cookies around here. Even in June they are making them at Smith's. Oddly enough my mom used to make them when I was young, even though she didn't grow up in Utah. I love them though. They are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful fall recipe for muffins - they do look scrummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love pumpkin! The cookies look great. I actually worked at the Lehi Roller Mills store in orem for a bit. It was fun during the holidays.
    We made pumpkin cupcakes on our blog. Check them out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seriously got this recipe from a Primary manual?!? That is too funny!!

    Yay for Zupas! I'm excited too!!

    As far as cameras, I'm a Canon fan, but I couldn't really tell you exactly why. It's what I've always had, and I love them! And even though my DSLR is an older model, I still love it to death!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I adore Bret's angry dance. One of the best things i've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Being a Utahn I guess I'd never given it much thought, but you're right!

    I read on recipe girl that you add lemon juice to any cookie to make it chewy... not sure if it applies since any pumpkin cookie I've ever had was bready.

    Congrats on being a part of the Cafe Zupas blog! I saw it on Deb's blog and checked it out just a bit ago.

    As far as camera advice, I have a canon and it has served me well until recently and EVERY shot I'm taking looks grainy to me! I'm really frustrated actually. Husbands CO has a Nikon and I like it, it is much lighter than my d60.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay to a post dedicated to me :)! p.s. i was telling my friend Jes, and she was actually looking for the recipe (scratch version so this is perfection!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. jen, congrats on winning an award, how exciting for you! :)

    i think billy elliott is HILARIOUS. i can't think of any angry dances right now... except for Center Stage and it was the dance the main girl had to perform.

    anyway, i am in love with the Nikon D90, altho really, recording in HD is a bit much for my needs so i am personally aiming for a D80. oh the things we do for our hobbies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those cookies look amazing! Being from Utah I know how yummy those pumkin cookies are. They seem to have them all year round! I live not too far from the Lehi Roller Mills and love their products also. I hope to try this recipe soon!

    ReplyDelete