Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

It's been snowing today and we finished the last of our Stephen's Mint Truffle Hot cocoa last evening. sad day.

I went to Williams-Sonoma this morning for their Cookies & More demonstration with Chelsea from Mmm Cafe. In the bubble they hold their weekly classes on Saturday instead of Sunday, like the rest of the world. I got to flood a cookie with icing and decorate it. It was my first time ever. Honest, I've always wanted to make cookies with that perfectly glazed look but never tried it, until this morning.

What do you think?

Not bad for a beginner, eh?

We learned some great cookie baking tips and got a super easy royal icing recipe using meringue powder. They even showed us a great way of making a pastry bag with parchment paper. Maybe I'll put together a how-to for that soon. Overall it was fun, and worth braving the winter temperatures for. Seriously, snow?!

Where did autumn go?

Easy Sugar Cookie Royal Icing
Tiffany at Williams-Sonoma

3 Tablespoons meringue powder
4 cups powdered sugar
6 Tablespoons warm water (more or less depending on desired consistency)
½ to 1 teaspoon of vanilla or almond extract (or any other extract, really)

To "flood" the cookies pipe a small line of the royal frosting as a border. Then mix some of the icing with a few drops of water, so it's a little soupy. Fill in the area that you bordered and spread the icing around with your finger (dipped in water) a wet pastry brush, or (thanks to a lady standing by me for this tip) a squeeze bottle.

Top with colored dusting sugar, or let dry and pipe more spooky decorations, et voilaaah ha-ha-haaaa! (read in a deep spooky evil voice, you know like the guy at the end of thriller... yeah.)

I also got some yummies from my favorite orchard at the Farmer's Market to make something fabulous this week. Can't wait to make it and share with you. Hub is pretty excited too. Oh, and there will be big stuff happening around here this week. October is looking to be a busy month!

How would you categorize icing? desserts? candy? I went with cookies.

And last but most definitely not least, this is for your viewing pleasure.


  1. Oh man, I'm so disappointed that I didn't go to that class this morning now! I almost did...but then my daughter took precedence. Too bad. I'll probably go by and pick up the little pamphlet soon. :o)

  2. I didn't even know that WS held these classes - I'm gonna have to look them up!

  3. The WS classes in SLC are still on Sunday, maybe I will head down to the bubble:) The cookies look great!

  4. You've received an award! Check out my blog to collect!

  5. Very very very cute cookies,
    I LOVE Williams Sonoma classes!
    Thank you fot stopping by my blog.
    The DDL was delish!

  6. Oh and thank you for wishing me a happy 100th post. Your are almost there!

  7. jealous you were able to go to the class, what fun!

    and i can't believe it's snowing for you! it's 82 here! which leads me to believe that the cold front that will roll in will be especially brutal.

  8. The girls in the store told my friend and I that the class started at 11:00, but I guess they start at 9:00, so we missed it...darn. Maybe next week!