Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




I'm not going to lie. I bombed this challenge. Okay well, not exactly bombed but... let's be honest. It could have been a lot better than it was.

I'm sure you're wondering 'what in blue blazes does this picture of tar have anything to do with a Daring Bakers challenge?' Although with my little note to prepare you for anything sad and dismal (I like the word woeful), you won't be surprised to find that it's actually a photo of my crackers.

I promise I had good intentions.


How it Happened:
I originally wanted to make these for Krissy-poo's bridal shower. I even put the dough together and everything. I used the gluten free lavash recipe with my own gluten free flour mix and left the dough resting in the refrigerator. Time was stolen from me, and I wasn't able to bake any of the lavash before all the guests came piling in. So I decided I'd bake them for another day. The next day went by, then another day, and another. Before I knew it my lavash dough had been sitting in the fridge for almost two weeks! It had yeast in it and I thought the dough would be ruined and fermented, but I decided what the hay, I'll bake it up anyway, just to see.

I've just piloted a new meaning to the word "Daring" Bakers.

I rolled out the dough, set my timer, and waited. I think I must have been going through my google reader, and Tartelette and Wise Craft must have bewitched me because I didn't hear my timer (hanging on my apron) go off, but it showed itself at 0:00. I checked the oven, and lo and behold; tar for dipping.



I was upset, but pulled another chunk of the dough out, rolled it, and set it in the oven to bake. This time I sat by the oven and set my little portable timer to go off in 8 minutes. The little timer did the same thing, no noises, only going to 0:00 who knows when. But I was diligent and took out the lavash when I thought it was done.

It was crispy on the edges and softer in the middle. Surprisingly the dough didn't taste a bit fermented and was actually a little sweet, and very tasty. I enjoyed it with cheeses. Fresh moz and havarti. I haven't touched the extra dough since, I just didn't have the motivation to make the rest of them what with a mutinous timer and all. Although by now, after almost three weeks, I'm sure the dough is rancid.

Hub didn't enjoy them as much as I did, and apparently didn't even know that they were crackers because he added a few old slices of baguette to the baggie I put them in. By the time I got to them again they were all soggy.



Reasons I Loved This Challenge:
I'm not sure I'd say "love".
Everyone needs a challenge that doesn't come out well, right? It's humbling. Plus you get used to trying over and over again when it happens often. All that really matters is that you get back on that bull!

Will I Make 'em Again?
Yeah. I want to try again. Maybe I'll see if that three week old dough still bakes well...

Cannelle et Vanille's version inspires me to try again.



What I Would Do Differently:
haha.
I'll be visiting the Bosch kitchen store shortly for a new timer. Any suggestions on a reliable one?



My Favorite Part:
Actually I thought it was hilarious that Hub put the bread in the bag with them. I thought everyone knew that bread makes things softer.

I had only made a few, and they were precious to me, like a little treasure. I was amazed that they tasted fine after the dough sat for so long, and after my timer not working and burning the first batch to a crisp, I felt attached to the little crackers that turned out semi-well. Then when they went all soggy from the bread, it was a finale of silly little things that went wrong. They had to be thrown out. The texture was like pasta, just before al dente.

The hosts this month were Natalie from Gluten a Go Go and co host Shel from Musings From the Fishbowl. Check out their blogs for recipes and great photos!


click the logo to go see people who succeeded above and beyond!

My previous DB challenges:
August - Éclairs
June - Danish
May - L'Opéra Cakes


14 Comments

  1. I'm so sorry! I had a similar timer incident - not with the crackers, but with cupcakes, and it was such a disappointment, especially for my daughter! I think you're very cool about it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're hilarious. i loved this post. i admire you for wanting to do this again. i'd be so done with crackers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's no such thing as "bombing" a DB challenge. As long as you tried ... and besides you win best post for humour!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this....it makes me feel happy to know that you're not that perfect! (Though you are pretty close!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is keeping it real...
    I really like the wordless wednesdays.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way you likened your crackers to tar. and Creampuff is right, no such thing as a failure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your mishap gave way to a delightful black and white picture though!! No such thing as failure when presented with gusto :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember seeing this on the forum! At least you're cool about it! The picture is gorgeous by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes failure can be our biggest success, and look...you get to buy a new kitchen gadget. That is my personal favorite kind of shopping! BTW, dont buy a Maverick multi-timer; hell if I could figure out how to work it...thanks for checking out my page!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jen,

    I burned my crackers on the first try too.
    p.s. I like your baking attitude. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am afraid I wouldn't know what to recommend as far as timers are concerned... I am notorious for tuning out the annoying beep of mine, especially when I am on the computer. My kids will come up to me and say: "hmmm, you know you have something in the oven, right?". So I can relate to your burnt cracker experience and admire the fact that you tried again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. As long as it's edible...no big whoop. I didn't get to completely finish my presentation and dip because I 'bombed' in a different way, but hey, like I said, as long as it tastes good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Aw, that's too bad. The burned version looks kinda cool tough, like lava flow.

    Glad the second batch came out well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Timers just bite sometimes, don't they! I hope your lavash works out better next time. They really are a great cracker.

    ReplyDelete