Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



We've officially welcomed in my favorite season.

Well technically, the equinox isn't until the 22nd at 3:44 p.m. However Hub and I have already welcomed it in spirit. That means that our down comforter is in its rightful place once again; we wake with scratchy throats; we go to, and/or watch football games every weekend; and red, yellow and orange are beginning to pop up along the mountainside; I even see a few trees in the valley beginning to change; it's beautiful. We even got some snow on Mount Timpanogos a few weekends ago. The only things left are cardigans, frost in the morning already happened a few times!, crisp air, falling leaves, and the holidays. I can't wait.


Since that weekend I saw snow on the tip of Timp, I've been making soup like crazy. Chicken Noodle (when a scratchy throat became a cold), Cream of Mushroom, Minestrone, and one of my favorites, Grilled Butternut Squash and Garlic Soup. I made this a few times last autumn and I couldn't wait to make it again this year. Hub really loves it too, he was really excited when I announced I was making it for our Sunday dinner this past weekend.


Our lunch just the other day, leftover soups. Mine was the minestrone, Hub's was the butternut.

We got our squash from a new market that opened up the street from us called Sunflower Farmer's Market. They have great prices on their produce, and I'm excited to go back and see what other yummy things they have. It's the closest thing we have to a Whole foods in this bubble of a valley, the nearest Whole Foods is about 60+ miles away. For my fellow bubble citizens, it's Good Earth without the crazy supplement section, which I never visit anyway.

When I was looking at the squash I realized I didn't know how to tell if they were ripe. I was too embarrassed to ask anyone, and remembered a clip I saw on Good Things Utah where they were showing how to tell if a watermelon is ripe. I remember them scratching the skin and something happening, but I couldn't remember what. I tried it anyway half expecting something to happen like liquid oozing, a change of color or some sign to tell me if they were ripe or not. I'd have even settled for heavenly hosts. Of course, that lead nowhere. They all had similar textures and none leaked any sort of liquid or changed color. There were no angels or encrypted signs either. Then I noticed that some of the squash had green lines streaking down from their nubby stems and a few were pale orange rather than green, more like the squash's color. I decided that was how I would pick my squash. The ones with streaks that weren't green were more ripe. It made sense then, and actually I still think I was pretty smart in assuming so, but I have no idea if any of it is true. I guess I should have had Hub tap them like he does when buying melons, apparently that's the best way to tell, "like a melon, it 'rings' when given a good rap". Thank you National Vegetable Society.

After bringing them home and settling in for the evening, I realized that we made sure we had the squash and garlic for the soup, but nothing else. I hadn't checked to see if we had any more of the necessary ingredients. Our good friends "Reese and Burt" were kind enough to offer their supplies, of course after we had already asked them over to try the soup, which is what triggered the realization. Then Reese got sick and they didn't end up coming over after all, but they were so sweet to still send over their bouillon and sour cream. I made the soup and sent it back over with the leftovers and a little loaf of some yummy banana bread that I've also been making a ton of in the past few weeks. Hopefully they made her feel a little better. Soup always makes me feel better when I'm down. Plus my granny used to say that whenever you were sick to eat garlic. She liked it plain and fresh. I made this again Wednesday for lunch, I had a couple friends over one of which I hadn't seen in years. It was so much better (and relaxing) than going out, and I loved catching up with them.

This soup is simple, and so good. You can also make your own changes to it, actually I encourage you to, and be sure to tell me about it because I would surely like to try your suggestions, unless it includes adding something like bleu cheese.... {shudder}

It's autumn.
Roasted Garlic and Butternut Squash Soup
inspired by Bride & Groom First and Forever Cookbook

3½ cups roasted butternut squash, about 3 lbs.
2 heads of garlic
Olive oil, salt and pepper

1 can of evaporated milk (or ½ can sweetened condensed milk)
6 or so shallots, chopped (filling at least a half cup)
Olive oil
4 cups of chicken/veggie/any other kind of broth, plus more as desired
Salt and pepper

A few dollops of sour cream
milk

For soup:
Skin the garlic heads until you get most of the outer skins off. Slice off the tops of the cloves so just the tips are exposed.
Set in a small ramekin or pan, drizzle with olive oil, dash with pepper and cover with foil.


step 1: take your gah-lick


step 2: undress it, but not to it's birthday suit


step 3: Give 'em a shave.


step 4: Season and give it a nice little place to incubate, marinate, yummyness-ate.
Move on to the squarsh. That's how granny would say it; but only after reminding me to warsh it.

Cut the squash “hot dog style” (lengthwise), spoon out the seeds, brush with olive oil and dash with salt and pepper. Roast flesh side down alongside the garlic in a 375° F oven for an hour.


I thought about roasting the seeds, but then decided it was too much work....


a close up; as if you couldn't tell.


we like oily, salty and peppery things around this house.


Look at them baking, so cute. Ooh, and this part will make your house or apartment or dwelling, whatever, smell yummy. Everyone will know it's almost mealtime.


voici, roasted butternut squashes.


voila, roasted garlic.

While the squash and garlic are roasting, drizzle some oil (about a Tablespoon) into a pan. Sauté or is it sweat? the shallots for a few minutes until they get soft; don’t let them change color.


un.


duex.


trois.

When the squash are cooled enough, peel off the skins and measure out 3½ cups of the flesh for the soup. You can freeze/refrigerate the rest for another time.

Set a pot on the stove top, set to low heat.

In a blender or food processor add in half the squash, half the shallots, half the milk, half the broth and one head of garlic (by squeezing out the roasted cloves and throwing away the skins).

Blend until smooth, then pour into the warm pot. Repeat with the other half of the ingredients and heat to desired temperature. Of course, if all the ingredients fit in your blender type gadget there's no reason to do it half-sies.
This is where you can either add more broth or milk to get the soup to your desired consistency and taste. More broth will make it thinner and less rich. Rachie, my sister from another mister, said it was rich like a dessert, only warm and savory.

And of course, don’t forget to add salt and pepper to taste as well.


Our blender has served us well. In the summer it's smoothies, in autumn it's soups.


Warm it up if it's not already warm enough. I love this part, it means we get to eat.

For sour cream hearts:
Combine sour cream and however much milk you want to thin out the cream to desired consistency. Dollop into soup and run a toothpick through the drops for a heart shape (this is totally from the cookbook).

This is so yummy with homemade bread, crackers, or whatever you have to dip into soup.

For Presentation: Dollop the hearts in and sprinkle with some freshly grated nutmeg. So, don't do what I did and let a huge plastic beam-like thing fall into your soup while you're trying to photograph it. Soup will get everywhere and you'll be really sad and not take any pictures of the disaster scene because you're distraught; then you'll think back and say, "I totally should have taken a picture of that, it was definitely blog worthy and maybe people would have commented more if you'd have done so".

C'est la vie.

Soundtrack for this adventure:
Mo Tab - Consider the Lilies


mmmm, tastes like home.

There's a reason we made this twice this week. It's good. :D
I'm entering this into "Art You Eat #5" because it's my favorite piece of art I eat during autumn.


7 Comments

  1. I am salivating as we speak, that sounds delicious! i can't wait to make it!
    P.S. We probably won't be at church, my sister in Salt Lake needs me. I am sure I will make a post in the next few days about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love butternut squash soup! i normally don't cut the squash, i just put the entire thing in the oven and let it soften in there... or i have been known to buy the squash already cut. makes life sooo much easier! i've always added leeks for the slight onion flavor. also, i top with crème fraîche. love the hearts design! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I will have to try this, it looks and sounds phenomenal. Just last year I got into butternut squash (my fave so far is butternut squash chili)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know, I've been looking for a simple and delicious butternut squash soup - this looks like the one to me! Thanks for your entry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the looks of your soup!! I love butternut squash and I am so excited fall is here for food and football reasons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My family loves butternut squash soup and this is a winner of a recipe, thank you for sharing this with us :)

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH MY LORD. Let's rate this a 5 star.
    First the caramelized garlic. Whole. new. world. to. me ! I've never eaten garlic this way, it was like cream when i get it off of the oven ! And the smell... Yuuummm !!! I didn't peel off the squash cause i wanted to give a roasted flavor to my soup (check) and i did a "sauce béchamel" instead of the condensed milk cause i didn't have one... DELICIOUS.
    I didn't salted it yet (my son can't eat salt) and however it is full of flavor !!!
    Perfect recipe, thank you.

    ReplyDelete