Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!


"This decadent dessert boasts a satiny texture and intense chocolate flavor."
I couldn't have said it better myself.

Pots de Crème

Can you tell I've got my camera back? I'm so happy. :)
Although lately I've been noticing that my picture taking isn't as good as I had thought. I blame it on only having a point and shoot.


This recipe was adapted from my Cooks Illustrated magazine. I love that thing. I've never had a recipe from it fail, even with my adventurous deviations! And let me tell you, I definitely took liberties on this one.

My sister's (Bug) birthday is this week and she drove down to the bubble to spend the weekend with her beloved sisters. :) We went shopping, watched SYTYCD, had great food, and got a new book which I can't wait to read. After Boo of course, since I'm borrowing her copy.

Since we were celebrating a lil' early I planned a special dinner on Sunday. She wanted chicken, so I made a dish our mother made all the time while growing up. For dessert, I didn't want to make a traditional birthday cake, especially since Bug isn't much of a traditional person in her taste and style. I found something superb.

I was looking through my recipes and saw the Chocolate Pots de Crème recipe in my CI mag and thought it was perfect. After watching Chocolat for the first time (on my way home from Georgia) I wanted to add some chili in it. Then I got scared (and it got late) and I decided to do cinnamon instead, which turned out fabulously, I must say.

Make a wish
Make a wish!

Cinnamon Chocolate Pots de Crème
yields: 8 servings (or more it's so rich!)

I used 70% Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Chips, oh goodness. CI says to use chocolate with at least 60% cacao, and for good reason; yum. The original recipe also said to chop the chocolate, but because I had chips, all I had to do was pour 90% of the bag in and it all melted beautifully. I reserved about ¾ cup, but after adding in "a little" more, it was less than ½. :)

10 oz. bittersweet chocolate
5 large egg yolks
2 Tablespoons Turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw)
3 Tablespoons white cane sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
1½ cups heavy cream
¾ cup half and half
½ vanilla bean, split down the center
3 cinnamon sticks
4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 Tablespoon water

Place chocolate in a medium heatproof bowl with a fine-mesh strainer over it, set aside. *I used my canning funnel with a patch of cheesecloth doubled up and stretched across. It was held on by a rubber band, worked fine.

In a saucepan, set in the vanilla bean and cinnamon sticks. In a bowl, whisk yolks, sugar, ground cinnamon and salt together. Whisk in heavy cream and half and half. Pour into the saucepan. Cook over medium-low heat stirring constantly and scraping bottom of pot with wooden spoon or spatula until thick and a thermometer reads 175 - 180°F. Do not let custard overcook or simmer. If you do let it get above 180°, immediately transfer from the pan to a cooled bowl instead of letting it sit in the hot pot.

...mmm, I can't wait for winter.

Immediately pour custard through the strainer/jimmy rig over your chocolate chips, discard vanilla bean and cinnamon sticks. Let mixture stand a few minutes to melt the chocolate. Whisk gently until smooth and add in vanilla and water.

Divide mixture evenly among desired dishes, gently tapping them against the counter to remove air bubbles.

Let the custards cool down to room temperature before covering with plastic wrap and setting in the refrigerator for at least four hours and up to 72.
Before serving, let Pots de Crème sit at room temperature for about 20 minutes.


Sweetened Whipped Cream
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 c. powdered sugar (or more to taste)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a bowl, mix cream, sugar and vanilla. Whip until stiff peaks form.

Presentation: Add a dallop (or three) of sweetened whipped cream and sprinkle a bit of ground cinnamon on top. Or try cocoa to dust, or flakes of bitterweet chocolate would be pretty too.

Enjoy!

I love Cinnamon
Let them eat Crème.

Don't mind the smudges
Please disregard the smudges on this cross section... :)

Don't you lick the candle clean?
Don't you love licking the candle clean? Notice, each of her nails are a different color.

It was rich, oh so smooth, and Aarny said it well when he mentioned that the whipped cream was a perfect accompaniment. It off set the intense chocolate flavor perfectly. I think this must be what royalty tastes like, if it was edible.

yum!
Here's Boo trying to design her own Pot de Crème art. I like the chipped nail polish.

My soundtrack: Yet again, my lovely fan whirring in the summer night keeping us cool and sane.

Individuality
None of us could finish our pot; I love this picture showing how everyone ate their own. Can you guess which one is mine?


ahrmmmph!


Happy Birthday Bug!


6 Comments

  1. that sounds like an amazing bday!! haha, I love sytycd! Chocolat is also the movie that inspired me to add chili powder to my chocolate (I usually add it to my hot cocoa in the wintertime)... it's probably a good thing though that you didn't experiment with the chili powder for the first time when other people were expected to eat the dessert - I definitely added a little too much my first time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds (and looks) like a yummy dessert for BDay!

    ReplyDelete
  3. looks fantastic. and your pictures are great, there is nothing wrong with having just a point/shoot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mouth is officially watering...seriously...I'll be back on the 20th...this sure sounds like a good "welcome home" dessert....ha! Jk!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look delicious to me. Good luck on the Iron Cupcake Challenge!

    ReplyDelete