Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!


This is one of my all time favorite breakfasts. Petit déjeuner, 早餐, Frühstück, desayuno, завтрак, however you pronounce it, I love it. It's the first food that you eat each day, shouldn't it be something you enjoy, love, and depend on? I think so too.



This may be why I have a handful of breakfasts that I love and eat regularly. For some reason, bland things tend to be my favorite. I love oatmeal, other creamed cereals, and congee for breakfast. With fresh fruit on the side, yum. If the meal increases in intensity of flavor, color and texture, I have a good day. It may just be that I need the physical awakening of my senses to guide and assist my mental awakening as well.

Although lately I haven't had much of a gradual awakening of any kind. I've been hitting the gym soon after my reveille so I eat after I'm clean and on a post workout high. Maybe that's why I've been a bit more abrupt these days...

So I've always heard about the benefit of flax, as well as wheat germ and bran. So naturally, I use it as often as I can adding it to smoothies, like this delicious one that I've had at least three times a week all summer. We've come up with pretty nommy variations. :) Flax and bran became a normal thing to add to my oatmeal.

This recipe isn't anything elaborate, fabulously classy or gourmet, it's simply how I love my oatmeal. It's on of my comfort foods. I hope you try it sometime, and that you enjoy it.

I <3 stewed grains
As you can see, I'm just bloggin' like it is; crusty microwaved oatmeal on the sides and all. Btw, don't let that sit for long, they can be a curse to clean!

My Favorite Oatmeal
serves just one.

1/4 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup water
1 Tablespoon milled flax seed
1 Tablespoon wheat germ and/or bran (if doing both, only add in 1½ teaspoons of each, or whatever it's your oatmeal really.)
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons maple syrup
2/3 cup milk
1/3 cup cream

Combine oatmeal and water in a microwave bowl and microwave on high for exactly 3 minutes, or less if you like it soggy-er. Add flax, germ/bran, maple syrup, and sugar; mix.

Combine milk and cream in a separate cup/bowl/container of some sort. Pour on top of oatmeal. I like to pour it on the spoon over my oatmeal like a waterfall.

Now make this noise as you eat, "Om nom nom nom" :)

*When I'm feeling like I've had an exceptionally long fast to break, I'll have 1/3 cup of oatmeal with 2/3 cup water, cooked for about the same amount of time, maybe a little longer. The idea is 1 part oatmeal to two part liquid. However when I make it for Aarny, he'll have 3/4 cup oatmeal and 1 cup water; just depends.

My soundtrack for this everyday adventure: The still of the morning, and usually the little birds that have started their day before me.

My morning spread Aug408

This was my spread the other morning. Can you see my reading material? It's a catalog my granny sent my mother, who sent it to me acouple Christmases ago. I've been subscribed since then. The Vermont Country Store It's open on "Tired Old Ass" products that come in a soak, cream and splash. I think I'll have to order some, just to own it. It's a great conversation starter don't you think? Like the poo book we have in the small basket on our toilet. Thanks Tim & Lori.

I love how I started with comfort foods and ended with poo...
My sincere apologies to those without a sense of humor :)


5 Comments

  1. Looks like a great way to start the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah yes, I love oatmeal, mmmmm... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHHHH the breakfast of champions.. A great way to jumpstart the day for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it already. I too love simple things for brekkie whether it be porridge or congee. I have never used maple syrup in mine but I will give it a go and the cream just makes it all the more delicious but I can't have too much of that. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it already. I too love simple things for brekkie whether it be porridge or congee. I have never used maple syrup in mine but I will give it a go and the cream just makes it all the more delicious but I can't have too much of that. Yum.

    ReplyDelete