Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

I've been trying to get involved in all these online baking/cooking events and I got an email from the newest one I'm about to try called the "Cookie Carnival". This is what the e-mail said:

hey cookies,
there is a post up on the blog you should check out. this month we're voting on which cookie to make! have your say. (by end of day saturday!)
-The Clean Plate Club-
happy baking,

First of all, I loved that we got to vote on what cookie we want to bake, and when I went to the site I was amused to see that all three of the choices were the exact three (and only three) cookie recipes I've already gone and posted, what are the odds eh? I thought to my lazy self, all my work is finished, no matter what cookie gets chosen!

Okay, I'm not really that lazy, at least not all the time. Only on weekends, and Tuesday afternoons... That's as far as my weekend rejuvenation lasts. No, I vowed no matter what cookie got chosen, I'd try a new recipe. Because I'm adventurous and advantageous and courageous! Well, and because they give you the recipe of the chosen cookie. If you're curious, I voted to make macaroons. My last attempt was a miserable one so I want to redeem myself. However the winning cookie was the snickerdoodle, a classic.

Here's the recipe:
Snickerdoodles: Take 2, or 3 or 4... :)
provided via Martha (Stewart, I think...)

Makes 4 dozen.

* 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
* 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
* 1/2 cup pure vegetable shortening
* 1 3/4 cups sugar, plus more if needed
* 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon, plus more if needed
* 2 large eggs
(I added 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract and 1/4 teaspoon of almond extract)


1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees, with one rack in top third and one rack in bottom third of oven. Line baking sheets with Silpat baking mats or parchment paper; set aside.

2. Sift together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine butter, shortening, and 1 1/2 cups sugar. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl. Add eggs, and beat to combine. Add dry ingredients, and beat to combine.

3. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the ground cinnamon. Use a small (1 1/4-ounce) ice-cream scoop to form balls of the dough, and roll in cinnamon sugar.
Place about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets. Bake until the cookies are set in center and begin to crack (they will not brown), about 10 minutes, rotating the baking sheets after 5 minutes.
Transfer the sheets to a wire rack to cool about 5 minutes before transferring the cookies to the rack. Store in an airtight container up to 1 week. (or so they say... and if they last that long!)


Verdict: These didn't keep as well as my mom's snickerdoodles do. They were tough and crispy within a few hours whereas my mom's stayed nice and soft for over a day. But they were yummy! I gave them to my dance students (I had promised them "lovin' from the oven" for being so great the week before. When I walked in the studio they were in a conga line shouting, "lov-in' from the ov-en! lov-in' from the ov-en!") After class, and their receiving of baked goods, one ran back into the studio to tell me how delicious her cookie was. It was so sweet; I love my job. Okay really I just love compliments, and my job pretty awesome too.

My Soundtrack: Me singing to myself Brad Paisley's "I'm still a guy". Don't ask me why it was stuck in my head all day! But I do like that song, it makes me laugh.

If you want to join in on the cookie making madness and fun visit The Clean Plate Club.


  1. I've SO been wanting snickerdoodles lately. These look great :)

  2. We thought they were really soft and chewy, even the next day. Thats as long as they lasted. They were taken away. :(

  3. How long did you cook them for? I did the whole ten minutes on one batch and then nine on the other. The nine min. batch seemed like they were perfect, but after an hour they were crispy. I prefer soft and chewy!

  4. i prefer them a little on the crispy side so i put them in the grill a little longer. They were sooo good. i had my healthy dose of cinnamon aroma therapy that day. YUMMY!

    so glad you joined the carnival!