Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!


This post is actually from May, but I never got around to posting it until now; obviously.

I was blog hopping one day and came upon this blog: Daydream Delicious
The owner hasn't posted for quite a while, but I think she should pick it up again because her concoctions were fabulous, this is one of them.



I've never seen Elder flowers in the Rocky mountains, although I have heard of them. Since the only thing in my own backyard, or rather, underground/back parking lot, was a neighbors lilac tree that hung over the fence. I decided, why not try "lilac cordial"? So I did. Really this recipe isn't "adapted" at all, just instead of using elderflowers I used lilac blooms, and I scaled the measurements... so is that qualified for "adapted" status? Or could I say it was substituted and slightly altered? whatever.

Lilac Cordial
adapted from Bonnie's Elderflower cordial

200+ heads of lilac blooms
5 cups of water
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 1/4 cup demerara sugar (aka Turbinado sugar, sugar in the raw, etc.)
2 limes, peeled and sliced
1 orange, peeled and sliced
2 tablespoons cream of tartar

Place the flowers, sugar and citrus fruits in a large saucepan. Stir together and leave to sit for 2 hours.
Add the cream of tartar (which prevents crystallization).
Boil the water and pour over the flowers. Cover and leave to sit for at least 24 hours (although I let ours sit for at least 48, over that the citrus may ferment making the cordial bitter - yes I speak from experience).

Filter by pouring into funnel with cheese cloth stretched over the top into sterilized glass bottles/jars or plastic bottles.
Tip: If freezing in the plastic bottles leave some space for expansion.

The way to use this could be as a flavoring for various things, cakes, syrups, sauces, drinks, etc. One way that would be tasty - like homemade soda - is with sparkling water.

From Bonnie:
As a flavouring for various dishes I'm going to reduce the cordial down for a more intense hit.


Leave a Reply