Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




I had a few recipes strewn all over the counter, and a printed copy of Tartlette's Lemon Pound Cake was one of them. At around 2 o' clock AJ walked into the office, where I was, and this is how our conversation went.

Hey, are you making lemon pound cake?
why, do you want some?
umm, yes; will I be able to eat it in 15 minutes?



I figured his craving for pound cake, or rather, food in general, was due to his lack of food consumption since 5 o' clock the previous day. He wasn't craving pound cake at all, he was suffering from low glycemic levels. The man gets irrational when he dips to below a 70 on the index scale. He doesn't care what it is, he wants it. in his belly. now.
I could have suggested liverwurst and he would have eaten it with a smile and an "mmmm, delish!" But I love my husband and kind of like when he tells people that my food is edible and tasty, call me crazy. I decided to put together a little dinner that took about 5 minutes and by the time we had eaten he was on the couch napping from a full stomach.

So instead of making it then, I made it when I was trying to distract my best friend K Marie until her boyfriend flew into town to surprise her and propose. I had to keep her busy somehow and she's not easily distracted nor stalled, except when it comes to baked goods and especially when they're as irresistible as this was.

Now usually I get a little peeved having more than one person in the kitchen at a time, especially while I'm composing my un/leavened masterpieces and flops. However there is one person I absolutely love having there, that's K Marie. We're kindred spirits I guess you could say. So we whipped up the cake, after I had researched it here and here - food history is fascinating! call me a nerd... - and made them into little rosettes with a pan I gave as a gift to my Mother for Mother's Day a few years ago. She decided after a year that she really didn't care for it and gave it to me.
*Note to self: Don't give family members things you think they'll love simply because you love it, they may just give it back. Or is that a good thing?

So, while researching exactly what a pound cake was, I found this little diddy.


It's a scanned page from a super old cookbook from the South. Can you imagine doing it all by hand? I guess it would have done wonders for your skin, all that oil from the butter!

I decided to alter Tartlette's recipe to be a bit more similar to the real thing, but kept elements that I liked. Oh and of course (as usually happens) I did a few things I didn't mean to do that ended up not hurting the cake at all, at least I didn't notice, and may have actually added to it.


It was so yummy with strawberries, I love fresh fruit.
Okay, here's the recipe.
And yes, I know I've been putting lemongrass in just about everything lately...

Lemon Pound Cake
adapted from Tartlette's Ultimate Lemon Pound Cake
who adapted her's from Lori Longbotham's Ultimate Pound Cake
(we're all trying to make our stamp in the world...)


3 cups flour
2 teaspoons ground lemongrass
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 sticks unsalted butter at room temperature
3 cups baker's sugar
6 large eggs plus 2 egg yolks, whisked
1 cup milk
2 Tablespoons lemon zest
1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Preheat oven to 300F. Butter and flour a 12 cup Bundt pan, rosette pan, mini loaf pans, whatever.

Sift together flour, lemongrass, baking powder and salt.

Cream the butter and 2 cups of the sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, the yolks as if one egg, beating well after each addition. Reduce the speed and add the flour mixture, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour. Stir in the lemon zest and half of the lemon juice (1/4 cup).

Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours, or until a knife or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Poke holes all over the bottom of the cake with a wooden skewer/toothpick.

Meanwhile, bring the other half of the lemon juice (1/4 cup) and remaining sugar (1 cup) to a boil over medium high heat in a small saucepan, stirring until the sugar is dissolved.
Take out the cake from the pan and place carefully onto a rack, upside down. Position over a baking sheet and slowly pour the syrup over the cake, it will seep through the holes and into the cake. Let cool to room temp.


4 Comments

  1. I am pulling together the email right now for Recipes to Rival. Email me with your email and I will send it out to you.

    http://recipestorival.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful little cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mouth is officially watering...YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks amazing and my mouth is watering- your blog is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete