Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

Remember these?
I made these for my beloved on his birthday. They were gone within a few hours. I made them again with my nieces when they were in town and gave quite a few of them to my dance students. They're so spoiled.

Anyway, I didn't have pictures for the yummy things last time, so here they are.

Oh, and instead of making everything with 3/4 cup measurements, we were indulgent and made the recipe with 1 cup of everything. Just to assure we had gotten all our saltines covered and soaked in enough butter, sugar and chocolate. :)

So here's the recipe again, with the slight and minuscule but oh so yummy changes.

Cracker Toffee
aka Matzoh Toffee Bark

1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar (you can do all natural cane sugar instead or half brown, half natural cane)
1 cup semi-sweet (or bittersweet) chocolate chips
1 cup nutty nuts, chopped candy cane, sea salt, sprinkles, any toppings you want
1 teaspoon water

Preheat oven to 375°F.

Line jelly pan with foil, then parchment paper, then saltine crackers (any type of cracker will work). It took about 2 bags plus ten or so to line two 26x18x1 inch jelly pans.

Bring butter, sugar and water to a boil in a saucepan until temperature of 275°F on a candy thermometer is reached. Boil for 2-3 minutes (longer you boil, harder the crack). If you are using all natural cane sugar you won't need a thermometer, just boil until it resembles the color of peanut butter (it helps to have your peanut butter out to compare).

Pour over prepared crackers spreading evenly on top with a spatula. Pop into the oven, reducing heat immediately to 350°F. Bake for a few minutes.

Remove and sprinkle chocolate chips on top, let it sit for a few minutes, or pop it back in the oven for a few, then spread out the chocolate so it's nicely distributed and sleek. :) Top with a few sprinkled nuts/other toppings you may desire et voila.

We couldn't decide on just one nut.

Now here is where your fine judgment comes in. You can either dive in right away, wait until they cool and harden at room temperature, or succumb to temptation by putting the pans in the freezer for about 10 minutes so the scrumptious little things cool down and you can take pictures of them, pack them up and nibble on the yummy crunch that they've got a lot sooner than any other option. *whew, long sentence!

Can you guess which one I opted for?

Funny moment: My niece asked me if my Mom ever told me to not play with my food as I was photographing it. I said, always.

One Comment

  1. Hahaha-- I love your nieces question. I also love toffee and think that this would be perfect next time I need to make a treat for someone's birthday.

    P.S. I found your blog off recipe muncher...