Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

Are you wondering what happened to that rhubarb I bought all those days ago?
Well here it is...

The day after I got the rhubarb, a neighbor mentioned his love for rhubarb everything. He said he was making a Rhubarb-Strawberry Crème Pie that very evening and that he'd love to bring us a slice or two. He did, and boy was it good! It was so sweet of him to share with us and I loved the tartness of the rhubarb and sweet creamy goodness it integrated with. While we chatted about rhubarb I mentioned I was on a quest of sorts for a recipe to try. I wanted to try something different from his pie, and I asked if blueberries went well with rhubarb. He said, oh you can't go wrong pairing rhubarb with any berry. So I knew I wanted to do blueberry somethin', I love those lil' blue berries full of juicy pulp.

The next step was going to my trusty ol' Cordon Bleu: Complete Cook Cookbook. It never fails, that and my Savoring America Cookbook that I got from Williams-Sonoma on sale. I love that place, going to the mother ship in SF was a dream come true, all those fun gadgets, those pots and pans, the cooking class kitchen...

ahem. anyway, as I dream away about beautiful cooking utensils and all-clad you're thinking... I want that recipe! Well scroll down then and save yourself the lapses into all things shiny.

Okay, so where was I? Ah yes, two cookbooks, one fabulous idea for what I like to call "Bluebarb Crumble" and voici, dessert for lunch, dinner, and breakfast. hee hee

Bluebarb Crumble
adapted from Le Cordon Bleu: Complete Cook and Savoring America

For the Blubarb:
2 Tablespoons blueberry preserves
3 1/2 cups rhubarb, cut into small pieces
2 cups fresh blueberries
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 c. Demerara or Turbinado sugar
2 Tablespoons flour
zest of one small lime

For the Crumble:
3/4 cup flour
8 Tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
3/4 cups hazelnuts (filberts) toasted and coarsely chopped*
1/2 cup Demerara or Turbinado sugar
2 Tablespoons milled flax
2 Tablespoons wheat germ
a pinch of salt

* To toast the hazelnuts: Layer chopped hazelnuts in a shallow pan. Sprinkle a pinch of cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg over hazelnuts before placing in a preheated oven set to 400°F for a 3-5 minutes.

To make the Bluebarb:
Mix together half the sugar and flour in a small bowl, set aside.

Put the blueberry jam in a shallow frying pan with 2 Tablespoons water, then add the rhubarb and blueberries in a single layer adding the other half of the sugar and lime zest. Bring to a boil, then immediately lower the heat to a simmer and cover with a lid or piece of aluminum foil and cook for five minutes.

Uncover and add the reserved sugar and flour, cook until thickened.

Transfer rhubarb and blueberries into a dish. Spread out evenly and set aside to cool. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

Boilin' up!

To make the Crumble:
Sift the flour into a large bowl. Rub the butter into the flour using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs, continue until it clumps together when squished, then add the hazelnuts, sugar, flax, wheat germ, and salt tossing to incorporate thoroughly.

Scatter the crumble evenly over the Bluebarb in the dish without pressing it down.

Bake 20-30 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown.

Presentation: Dust with a little extra sugar if you wish, and serve the crumble warm or cold with vanilla ice cream, custard, or whipped cream and a dash of cinnamon, my fave.

Verdict: I say definitely go with a topping of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Oh, and make sure you simmer the rhubarb long enough to get all the acidity out and sugary goodness in.

My soundtrack for this adventure(what I listened to while cooking): Sesame Street on my t.v. in the background, and no; we don't have any kids... :)

I'm an official fan of the genus,Rheum x hybridum. yum!


  1. O that looks so yummy! I am glad that you found a recipe for it! By the way, you are the best picture taker...unlike me! hehe!

  2. looks yummy & I just happen to have rhubarb sat in the fridge, alas no blueberries though!

  3. I want and need a piece of that dessert NOW!

  4. Blueberries an rhubarb sounds like a great combo!