Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!


So I'm a frequent at this website...

"The Pioneer Woman"

and I've been wanting to test out her risotto recipe the first time I laid eyes on it. So I did, and here's how it went for me.
More...
First of all, if it's just you and your hubby, or you alone, or less than an army for that matter, take my advice and half the recipe. In fact, I'll give you both versions just in case. I didn't think about how much risotto 3 cups of rice would make. Well, let me tell you, we've got enough risotto for the rest of the month! I'm freezing some and we've eaten it all weekend!

I have no idea how much risotto it actually made, except that after eating our share with supper it filled a ten cup bowl.

So here's the recipe (this is the succinct version):

PW’s Perfect Risotto

The halved amounts are in parentheses.

1 tablespoon olive oil - (1/2 Tablespoon)
1 tablespoon butter - (1/2 Tablespoon)
1 small or 1/2 medium onion - (1/2 onion)
3 to 4 cloves garlic - (2 cloves garlic)
1 pound Arborio rice = 3 cups - (1 1/2 cups)
7 to 8 cups chicken broth - (1 quart - 4 cups)
1 to 1 1/2 cups heavy cream - (1/2-3/4 cups)
2 cups (total) grated Parmesan, Romano, and/or Asiago cheese - (1/2 cup)
Salt & Pepper to taste
Chopped chives

Halving it was difficult eh?

Heat oil in large skillet, then add chopped onion and garlic and cook until soft. Dump in 1 pound dry Arborio rice, and stir to coat. Then add the broth, in 1-cup increments, stirring after each addition until liquid is absorbed. Rice is done when it no longer has a hard bite. After all liquid is absorbed, add cream, cheese, salt & pepper, and stir to combine. Stir in chives and serve immediately.

There you go! If you want to see Pioneer Woman's full post and pictures with recipe go here.

Here are my own pictures of my new love, risotto.


Cooking the onions and garlic, two of my favorite savory flavors.


Adding 1 lb. (3 cups) of yummy rice!


Adding chicken juices "a ladle at a time" like tough love from your mom when you're a naughty kid.


This is where waiting, stirring, tlc, and reading The Host come in.


Ready for another ladle of love!

Now go back two pictures and read over all three about ten times.
I know, ten times! I got to chapter 5 in the Host, but then the chapters are only a few pages long. By the third or fourth time I had to change pans to a deeper walled one that could hold all that rice!


Adding the "chives"- I did green onions instead- and S&P.


The finished product, it was well worth the wait and tlc. There's something therapeutic about watching the chicken love juice soak in and plump up those little grains. It was perfectly creamy and I have to say a definite success considering it was my first time making risotto.

As for the leftovers:
If you do end up making the whole recipe like I did, and want to eat it creamy again, follow these instructions. Because after it's been sitting in the refrigerator for so long, instead of staying creamy it turns into a lumpy, pudding-like consistency that tends to mold into one big blob. Remember that movie?

Anyway, to get it creamy again, add some cow love juice (milk) to your desired amount of refrigerated risotto and microwave until it's warm, stirring it up every minute or so. Be sure to break up the clumps.

Congratulations, you just revived your risotto from dried, clumpy, and sticky, death.


2 Comments

  1. As you've found, you can't really save risotto as a leftover. Adding the cream & then milk makes it more like a (yummy) rice pudding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! It's sad that only AJ & I were the only ones to witness my great achievement, but then he's the only one I really try to impress. Him and other foodie friends. :)

    ReplyDelete