Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



I don't know what it is but it seems that a common gift to all women and mothers for Mother's Day is macaroons. I'm not sure if they think that every woman loves meringue coconut cookies, but they sure as heck got it right with me, I love the things! :)



I'm not a mother, yet; but in my ward they always give honor to not only mothers, but to womanhood. So they gave each woman a little gift of cookies after the sacrament meeting and there was a little macaroon inside. I was excited, although I knew I'd be sharing it with AJ. I didn't mind though, what's mine is his and vice versa although not completely 50/50. :)

I actually made these last minute, right before AJ and I went to a friends house for dinner. I have never made them before and the recipe looked easy enough so I went for it. Although they ended up being edible, I should have put more tlc into making them, I was a little haphazard and in a bit of a rush so they ended up being thin and not even the least bit fluffy.

The recipe was on the back of my Bob's Red Mill bag of fine macaroon coconut that I got to make my gai mei bao. Someday I'll put that recipe on here, it's my signature. I'll start a bakery with it one day, with the warm coconut middle and soft shiny outside skin... yum.
Okay, back to the macaroons.

The recipe is for chocolate macaroons, I just made regular ones with chocolate on the outside. They were tasty, but a fright to behold.

Chocolate Dipped Macaroons
adapted from Bob's Red Mill recipe for chocolate macaroons

2 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cream of tarter
1/4 teaspoon Almond extract
2 drops vanilla extract
1 cup finely shredded coconut
3/4 cup bittersweet chocolate (or semi-sweet if you'd prefer)

Preheat oven to 325°F. Beat egg whites and salt until almost stiff.
(This is where I went wrong. I threw the egg whites in my Bosch and since the thing only has two speeds, fast and wicked fast, I over beat the whites, they were to the consistency of frosting.)

Add sugar slowly beating until egg whites stand in peaks. Add almond and vanilla extracts. Fold in coconut.
(Here is where you add the melted chocolate, stirring until well mixed, if you are making them chocolate macaroons instead of simply dipped in chocolate ones.)

Drop by teaspoon fulls on a parchment paper or "brown paper" lined cookie baking sheet.
Bake for about 15 minutes, the edges will be barely browned. Cool slightly and remove from paper with a spatula.

When the macaroons are cool and not flimsy, melt chocolate over double boiler until creamy and smooth. Dip in each macaroon, coating each side with chocolate. Place on a cooled cookie sheet.
Be sure that they're cool enough, you don't want them to break off in the chocolate... or do you? :)

If you have room, place the cookie sheet with the macaroons in the refrigerator to speed up cooling time. When the chocolate is firm, dig in!


One Comment

  1. Yum. I love coconut macaroons. Probably even more than french macarons. Usually I make mine sort of roundish or pyramid shaped, and stuff a bit of chocolate in the middle as a surprise :)

    ReplyDelete