Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




I love this cake.

If you didn't already know, I'm half Chinese and thank goodness because it's just about my favorite kind of food; yum cha (dim sum), veggies, and all that seafood! - the reason I'll never go vegan - Not the Panda Express kind, although that is also kinda yummy.

This is one of my favorite kinds of cakes. I made it for the first time quite a while ago, two years ago this month actually. It's fluffy, easy, and delicious. Although I know I pronounce it alright, I'm not so sure about the spelling...


If you don't have a steamer, get one.
They're great for cooking lots of food, especially fish and other things I will be posting. It's almost better than baking! *gasp* did I just say that!? Well at least I kept it real and said 'almost'.
I'm not sure of an alternative, ooh I know, you can borrow mine!

Ma Lai Go
adapted from Kitty Choi's Foundation Dim Sum Making Cookbook

2 1/2 c. flour
2.15 oz. custard powder (I use instant pudding mix with a pinch of cream of tartar, who knows if it ruined it? Didn't seem to!)
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
6 eggs
1 3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 c. Crisco

Sift together flour, pudding powder, baking powder and soda.

Whisk eggs. Gradually add brown sugar and beat until creamy and forms soft peaks.

Fold in dry ingredients in three additions mixing slightly to combine after each addition. Set aside for 30 minutes to ruminate.

Melt Crisco, mix into cake batter quickly. Let sit for another 10 minutes.

Grease and flour baking pan, pour in mixture. Steam on high heat for an 50 minutes to an hour until cooked. The more dry your climate is, the longer you may need cook.

TIPS:

* Make sure your brown sugar is sifted so there's no lumps.

* Make sure you have enough water at the beginning of the steaming process because you shouldn't add more water in halfway through. If you do take the cover off, the cake may fall.


2 Comments

  1. And welcome DB newbie to you, too! This cake sounds great. I think I've eaten this or something very similar, but I've never actually made it. I might have to give your recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! I think I may have had this cake before, but might not have known it by this name.

    ReplyDelete