Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

I've been thinking a lot lately about the farmers' market and how excited I am about it beginning again this year. It's mostly because the weather has been heavenly and I've been itching for fresh produce. Not just any produce, but the kind that's packed with flavor and you know that the tomato your eating probably thought it was the only tomato in it's farmers life, it got such TLC. That kind of produce. Produce like that tastes like it's been grown in a small garden, and reminds you of being a kid again, eating the product of your own hard work (and incessant nagging from your mom:). I can't wait to have my own home and garden, until then (and likely afterward) I'll look forward to my Saturday mornings when I can walk down the road to the park where local farmers meet to sell their goods.

I've been going our town's farmers' market for a few years now and within that time it's grown substantially. I remember when it was only a few groups of farmers, and occasionally a group of boy scouts, who'd meet each week to sell various produce. A year or so after that a few people would make and sell various types of food, Chinese, Mexican, Navajo Tacos. It's where I met a lady who grew up near the area AJ served on his LDS mission in New Mexico; she was selling the Navajo Tacos. She told me secrets about making the dough, things her grandmother would do so that it would turn out perfectly. Sure enough her dough had the perfect amount of crisp and fluff and boy were they yummy. I brought one home to AJ served the native way
(leave it plain, only add salt) and he approved heartily. A few weeks later she gave me the recipe and it's been the only one I use for Navajo Taco night. I will post that recipe someday, I guarantee they'll be served with green chilies.

Now the market has relocated and grown to more than 20 different vendors. They sell everything from woodwork and woolly knitted goods to honey and headbands. I haven't seen my Navajo Taco making friend for a long time, maybe sharing her recipe caused her business to bust! I doubt it though.

Anyway, reason for the rambling... I've been interested in not only local produce, but in supporting local farmers. A cookbook that I've been drawn to each time I go to Barnes & Noble or Borders is one by Alice Waters called The Art of Simple Food. By the way, that's how I know I want to buy a cookbook, I'll continually pick it up when I go to a bookstore and begin reading where I left off. Now that my secret is out they'll have me buy it when I go back. Well, good thing very few people read my food blog!

Anyway, on with the book. It's great, so far. She talked about CSA or Community Supported Agriculture farms and that if you buy a few shares from a local farm (give them a weekly/bi-weekly/monthly payment) they'll deliver fresh produce grown on their farm to you personally! Or, to a decided meeting place where you can pick it up. Either way it's a great way for consumers to support their local farmers and a great reason to eat fresh! I found there are only two farms near me that participate in this CSA thing, but one's enough for two people! I'm planning on visiting it sometime soon.

So there's my little shpeel on going local. Click here to find a CSA farm near you. If you live in Utah, check this out; and this :). Of course, these links are in my sidebar as well, just thought I'd give my two cents about it all.

Also, I've been having fun giving my blogs a face lift, messing with html and trying to pretend like I understand it all. So I have to give a shout-out for the site that I found all my little tricks at: Hackosphere.

So there it is, shop local; support a cow, chicken, or garden, and his/her/their farmer; make a new friend at a farmers' market, share a recipe, enjoy the bounty of hard work; and change your blog!

Leave a Reply