Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Closing the Gap these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!




I first made this recipe to impress AJ when we were first dating. I had recently purchased a new cookbook from a lady's garage for three dollars while nannying out in CA. It was Le Cordon Bleu: Complete Cook Home Collection. It was my first time really cooking for anyone and I think it was the start of a ruminating passion for food and cooking that really took off the summer I met AJ. As for the dish, it was so yummy, he married me!

As a matter of fact when I made this again the other night AJ had more than one helping, he loves the sauce and took all the leftovers for lunch the next day leaving me a small cut of chicken to have for my own lunch.


Chicken and Shrimp with Honey Dijon Sauce
adapted from Le Cordon Bleu: Complete Cook Home Collection

oil, for cooking
4 chicken breasts
4 shallots, thinly sliced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 c. dry white wine (or chicken broth with 1 tsp. lime or lemon juice)
2 c. chicken stock
1 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. Dijon or regular mustard
2 T. honey (or to taste)
2-3 T. fresh basil

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Heat 1 T. oil in pan on top stove, fry chicken breasts until brown on both sides. Transfer the chicken to the oven, cooking until juices run clear. Turn oven temperature down to keep chicken warm (about 170°F).

In pan used to brown chicken add the shallots and garlic. Fry until soft, fragrant and lightly browned, then add the wine and shrimp, cooking the shrimp until pink, only a few minutes. Remove the shrimp, keeping warm and reduce wine until almost dry. Add the stock and simmer for 10 minutes, or until syrupy.

Strain the sauce into a clean saucepan (only if you don't want the onions and garlic in the sauce).

Add the cream and simmer for 5 minutes. Combine the mustard and honey, then stir into simmering mixture. Season with S&P to taste. Chop the basil - see note* - and sprinkle into the sauce at the last minute, along with the shrimp. Pour the sauce over the chicken before serving. Serve on top of linguine or another long pasta.


2 Comments

  1. That looks delicious!

    Welcome to the Daring Bakers, good luck with this month's challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent recipe. I just tried it and my family absolutely loved it. One tip I have, that my family has been doing for awhile now, with honey is
    that you try different varieties each time you make the recipe so it never wears out.
    Our favorite place to buy honey is from
    Holy Food Imports

    ReplyDelete