Looking for new posts?


I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!



photo par moi

This recipe is a spin-off of a recipe by Sally James in her recipe book Fresh & Healthy. It's originally called "Penne with Char-Broiled Chicken and Eggplant" but I had no eggplant handy, no car to drive to the store and anyway I seldom actually char-broil anything. Ever since we got our George Foreman grill I've either used that or relied upon my DH to throw another (insert meat type here) on the barbie! Although today was absolutely gorgeous in regard to the weather, DH was not home so I relied on George this evening and without regret, I might add. I'm not to keen on handling flammable (as well as inflammable) substances without adult supervision.



Anyway, when it comes to cooking I rarely follow the recipe to a T, and I very rarely remember measurements. So most of the measurements are what was called for in the original recipe.


fusilli  with chicken & tomato
1 lb. penne or fusilli pasta (fusilli means corkscrew, the twisty kind)
1 T. olive oil

1 lb. chicken breast (I used 2 large chicken breasts)
1/4 teaspoon dried garlic powder
pinches of various dried herbs: basil, oregano, savory, thyme, etc.
(mix garlic powder and herbs together)

1 large clove garlic, crushed
2 stems green onion, sliced

1 large tomato, seeded and diced
1 can black olives, most of them chopped
2 teaspoons fresh oregano (1/4 tsp. dried)
1/2 c. chicken stock
2 cups baby spinach leaves (if you use frozen spinach, use half a 10 oz. box)
1/4 c. feta cheese, crumbled

Prepare pasta as directed. Drain, toss with a teaspoon of the olive oil and keep warm.
Brush the chicken with a small amount of olive oil, sprinkle garlic herb mixture on top and either char broil or foreman grill until browned but not cooked completely through.
Heat the rest of the oil in a frying pan, add garlic and onion. Sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add tomato, olives, and oregano cooking for a few minutes more. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Slice the chicken thickly and add to the pan. Cover, reduce heat, and cook for 5-6 minutes or until chicken is completely cooked. Add the spinach and cook for 1 minute, then toss with the pasta, and heat through. Serve with feta on top.


2 Comments

  1. hey jen! how many people does this feed? it looks like a great recipe for my dinner group! we have 11 people though, i want to make sure i make enough. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jean! I remember the dinner group days... so fun.
    This recipe serves four, but feeds two to three. Does that make sense? I'd at least triple the recipe if you're cooking it for 11 people. And if there's any college boys I'd even consider quadruple-ing it, or more. I'll put this on your facebook page too, to make sure you see my response.

    <3

    ReplyDelete