Looking for new posts?

I've been blogging over at Our Sleeping Flowers these days. Still me, and still delicious, come join me!

This recipe is adapted from the cookbook AJ and I were given from the family I nannied for in Sacramento. The reason we met... :) It's called Bride & Groom First and Forever Cookbook

The only major changes I made were actually mistakes, I don't always read recipes all that carefully; and in the ingredients I added.

chicken pot pie
1 T. olive oil
1 onion, chopped
(I used half a yellow onion, 1/2 a red onion, and some leftover green onions. I love the color it gave to the dish)
4 medium cloves garlic, minced
thyme (who doesn't need thyme?!?)
fresh basil, minced
mushrooms, sliced (fresh ones, yummy)
red bell pepper, chopped (I did half)
celery, chopped (3 stalks)
salt & pepper
1/2 c. dry white wine or Vermouth (or chicken stock with a few teaspoon lemon juice - for all you mormons!)
1 T. flour
2/3 c. chicken stock/broth
1 jar (16 oz.) Alfredo sauce
3 c. shredded chicken (I used three chicken breasts, microwaved baby!)
frozen peas, carrots, and corn

1 1/2 recipe flaky pie crust or 2 frozen pastry circles or sheets for 9-inch pie
1 egg, lightly beaten

Preheat oven to 425ยบ F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, thyme, basil and celery; after a few minutes add red peppers and mushrooms, season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring frequently until the onion is soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the wine/broth & lemon juice mixture and cook until it has evaporated but the onion is still moist, about 2 minutes more. Sprinkle the flour over the veggies and cook for 1 minute. Add the stock and stir until well incorporated and slightly thickened.

Remove pan from heat. Stir in the Alfredo sauce, then add the chicken and frozen veggies. Adjust the seasoning with more salt and pepper if necessary. Put the filling in a ramekin (you can do individual pies by using 4 - 1 1/2 cup ramekins), set aside.

If using homemade piecrust that has been refridgerated overnight, let it soften at room temp. for 30-45 minutes. If the piecrust has only been refridgerated for 45 minutes, it can be rolled out immediately. If using frozen pastry circles/sheets, place them on a work surface and let thaw slightly, about 10 minutes.

Roll out the piecrust in rounds and set the ramekin on top. Cut out a circle 1 inch wider that the bottom of the ramekin. Drape the pastry over the ramekin and seal by pressing gently on the sides of the ramekins. You can cut out decorative shapes, initials, whatever to place on top. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg.

Place the potpies on the baking sheet and bake until crust is golden (I had to put foil on top after about 10-15 minutes so it wouldn't burn, it was already pretty brown), 35-45 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.

Do Ahead: The filling can be made and the pie assembled 1 day ahead. Cover and refridgerate, then bake as directed.

Note: We recommend baking 2 potpies and freezing the remaining two. Do not brush the pastry with the beaten egg before freezing the pies. Cover with foil and freeze. Bake the frozen pies, covered with foil, in a 425 degree oven for about 30 minutes. Then remove the foil, brush with beaten egg, and coontinue baking until the crust is golden, about 30 minutes.

Or you can just make it in one big ramekin/dish and then use your tupperware!

Veggies in the pot!

Can you tell what shapes I cut out?
The potpie was a mess after cooking, I was embarassed to put a pic of it on.
It would have been anything but aesthetic.

It looks much better on a plate.
And yes, AJ loves that I take pictures of everything we eat nowadays!

Our Cinnamon Sticks that we made with the extra pie crust dough.
Also known as "Pie Crust Cookies" to some...

One Comment

  1. Whew! That was quite the post! It looks so yummy, unfortunately, I would have to change all of the fillings in order for my husband to eat it! He is not a fan of chunks, peppers, onions, or mushrooms! If I ever want these ingredients in our meals, they have to be extremely minced in our food processor! I, on the other hand, would love this recipe! Anyway, I think that I will make your recipe, just with different veggies to satisfy my picky spouse!